What if?

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is a new one. I bought a new car about a month ago, and it's the first car with remote start. First time I used it I didn't know I needed the key to be in the ignition and turned to on position; it has to be like that in order to place the shifter into drive or any other spot. Now, the What IF is this. What if you were out at the bar drinking and you knew you had to much to drink. You remote start the car and then sit in it to go to sleep. Can the cops give you a DUI or OVWI with the car running and no key in the ignition?

With all the cop shows my wife watches whether its true or not ? Ive seen em haul them off with them sitting in the car not running .

It just made me wonder because of all the stories I've heard of keys in ignition, car off and person passed out in back seat getting hammered with the DUI, DWI, OVWI. I very rarely drink anymore, I bought a bottle of George Dickel last year for my 60th birthday, what the heck, only turn 60 once. Took about 3 months to finish it.....

If you have access to the keys, its called care and control.
I know of a guy that was sleeping in his car, in the back seat with keys in his posession.
Got a dui and lost in court.

But they threw me out and put me in my car, I guess that would be public drunk for sure :rofl:

With all the cop shows my wife watches whether its true or not ? Ive seen em haul them off with them sitting in the car not running .
I knew a guy here in va that got a DUI in the passenger seat. It was cold and he was passed out drunk and his buddy who was his DD went in to waffle house to eat and left the car running so he wouldn't freeze when he came out cops was around his car. (The car belonged to the passed out guy not the driver) the cops was arresting him. The cop was stopping to eat and saw the guy asleep and for whatever reason decided to investigate. When he woke up he noticed he was drunk and gave him a DUI because the car was running. The driver even explained to the cop I'm his dd I'm completely sober I was just stopping to eat and he was asleep and didn't want him to freeze. Didn't matter. That cop was a douchbag. That is what you call abuse of power. Imo

-
Back