What Initial Timing Setting?

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Well, I fired her up and it sounds very healthy. My question is what are you guys running for initial timing on your 408 stroker combo's? Here is my combo:

408 Magnum
Eddy stock heads
Hughes Roller, 242-246 duration @.050, .565 lift
Quick Fuel Carb 750 D.P. Q series

Thanks!

I've set mine at 34, but this year will be a discovery period. I'm told/seen most sb strokers, go no further thatn 34. Some run them as low as 30. Especially with the closed chambers.

what distributor? i have an msd that i changed the bushing to the 18* one and run 17* initial, 35* total.

what distributor? i have an msd that i changed the bushing to the 18* one and run 17* initial, 35* total.

I'd think this is something in the area of a good point. Seen some engines running as much as 22* initial and 34* total.

The magnum heads require less total than the older open chamber LA heads. I run 33 total. With the cam you have it's likely going to be happiest close to 20 degrees initial so you will need to use a bushing that limits the mechanical to 13-15 depending on what you settle on for initial.

Initial is determined by advancing the timing in small increments while maintaining the same idle rpm to obtain the maximum vacuum. Remember when you reduce the total mechanical in the distributor you will need to go to stiffer springs to maintain the same rpm for it being all in. If you are going to do mostly street driving shoot for the timing to be all in around 2500 rpm.

-
Back