What is a complete A/C system worth?

-

phish1270

phish1270
Reaction score
I have a '65 Barracuda that someone put a 318 into. It has a full complete working A/C system in it with the under dash unit. It blows ice cold air & had all new hoses made for it just before I bought it. It has the York style compressor on it. What would it be worth if I were to sell it? I am planning to build a 360 to drop in it & will be removing the A/C & PS. I was hoping to sell the system & use that money to finance another need for the car. I just don't want to ask too much or too little. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

I just bought a parts car that has A/C and I was wondering the same thing. Price.

If it was the 65 factory installed system, it would be worth somewhere around $250 - $300. Since factory AC for A Bodies first appeared in 65, the hardest part to find for a Valiant/Barracuda or Dart is the heater/AC bezel. I had one of those universal underdash set-ups I took out of a 72 Valiant and couldn't give it away (or find the right person who wanted it). It was the same basic set-up that sounds like the one you have. Think I finally sold it for like $50. If it's working and blowing cold, I'd probably keep it.

I had a ThermoKing aftermarket unit on my first '66 Dart. It used a York compressor as well. The York was a rough runner eventually causing the compressor mount bracket to fail. Although TK is still in business, it took a while to find an old-timer who remembered the automotive side of the business. No spares and no way to reproduce the bracket.

Solved the problem by using a period correct Mopar RV-2 compressor. If I had not been after period correctness, I'd have used a SanDen compressor. The later model compressors run smoother and draw less HP.

I eventually sold the system with the RV-2 compressor for $75 @ a swap meet. If you pull your system, remember to seal off the drains through the interior floor.

-
Back