What is a good electronic distributor for an rb/b block?

-

Carnut68

Reaction score
I'm looking to possibly change my distributor to one with v/a. Currently running an MSD pro billet mechanical. I like the ease of spring changes and the limiter bushing. Does anyone make something similar? Firecore? Mancini?

B and RB blocks don't use the same distributor because they have different deck heights, BUT I like the standard Mopar electronic ignition systems. You can curve the distributor to meet any need.

Whatever you end up with make sure it has a curve for your engine.

I'm looking to possibly change my distributor to one with v/a. Currently running an MSD pro billet mechanical. I like the ease of spring changes and the limiter bushing. Does anyone make something similar? Firecore? Mancini?
Halifax is a member here how is all about ignitions.

@Carnut68 there your answer, an OEM distributor with the right curve and ignition box will do ya just fine

B and RB blocks don't use the same distributor because they have different deck heights, BUT I like the standard Mopar electronic ignition systems. You can curve the distributor to meet any need.
:thumbsup:
I've been looking at that one.
Not to hyjack, Halifax ,would you recurve this one ?
The add says it's OEM spec. If he will I'll by one to send to him.

The dist in post #3 will do the job nicely. It is one of many sold online E bay, Summit etc. Comes with adj vac adv. Buuuuut, it only has the p/up inside, no electronics inside it like MSD dist.
Best bang for the buck is that dist + a HEI 4 pin module. Very simple to hook up, high spark energy [ use 0.060" plug gaps ]. There is a current thread by someone else in this section showing this conversion.
As for dialling in a curve, unless the engine is totally stock [ & you know what the curve is ], it becomes either a good guess or a dyno to find out what is best.

The dist in post #3 will do the job nicely. It is one of many sold online E bay, Summit etc. Comes with adj vac adv. Buuuuut, it only has the p/up inside, no electronics inside it like MSD dist.
Best bang for the buck is that dist + a HEI 4 pin module. Very simple to hook up, high spark energy [ use 0.060" plug gaps ]. There is a current thread by someone else in this section showing this conversion.
As for dialling in a curve, unless the engine is totally stock [ & you know what the curve is ], it becomes either a good guess or a dyno to find out what is best.

Dosent that FBO unit use an HEI module inside a metal box similar to an Orem ignition box?

It may do, not sure. Nice way of doing it; compact, neat & protects the module..

Dosent that FBO unit use an HEI module inside a metal box similar to an Orem ignition box?
They used to on the old ones. I believe they've changed it now. Although I'm not 100% sure. I've not seen a new one taken apart yet, but they don't look big enough to house a GM module anymore. I could be wrong, of course.

Summit Billet distributor is a good piece, I have the SBM version on both of my Mopars (Duster and D200, both with 360s). Mag pickup inside just like the factory Mopar electronic ones and a similar style of mechanical advance system but IMO easier to adjust and comes with an assortment of advance springs and plastic "keys" for setting the mechanical advance limit.

Here's the version for an RB engine: DODGE Summit Racing SUM-851008 Summit Racing™ Billet Electronic Mopar Distributors | Summit Racing

Dunno if its helpful but I have a new, factory refurbed big block distributor if interested. I bought it thinking it was for a small block but wasnt. Only down side is the electrical pigtail was snipped off for an HEI conversion. Easy fix though, especially if Ray is going to recurve it for you.

-
Back