What is a sure grip pumpkin worth..

-

grassy

Reaction score
Whats would a sure grip pumpkin for an 8 3/4 be worth..i think I would be looking for any of these 3 ratios.. 2.76, 2.93, 3.23. Going for mileage but maybe the 2.76 would be too low ?

Rather than changing the whole pumpkin, if I don't go sure grip, can I just change the gear set ?

Thanks

First, if your car is a cruiser and not performance oriented, then the 2.76 will be fine. If you are looking for a little more pep, then go with the 3.23's, they would be very street friendly.

If you find one complete, with a suregrip, they usually are in the 350 dollar range, maybe a bit more depending on whether it's been rebuilt.

And yes, you can just change the gear set, but be advised there are some specialty tools that you will want ( a couple you can make yourself if you have a welder) AND there are a couple of steps to take before you disassemble the unit.

A lot easier to find a third member complete , then to start changing crown gear and pinion .The lower the number the higher the gear , like 2.76 is a high gear and 3.91 is like a low gear There are 2 kinds of sure grip units; the clutch type and the cone type. The clutch type is generally considered to be more desireable, but I've never had any problems with a cone type. These 2 sure grip units can be interchanged between cases (741,742,489) as long as the correct ring/pinion combo and bearings are used. If you want highway gears, I would go with a ratio of 2.76, 2.93, or 3.23. Like badsport said around 350 would buy you a decent member.

Thanks guys...I had thought 400 so this is good.

We had a 3.23 but our pumpkin was slightly damaged so it was replaced...and I am thinking that he put in a 4.56 ..I am guessing with some math..wish he had asked me..

26 in tire, almost 3600 @ 60 mph, really bad gas mileage :)

Going to his shop to find out this week..

Out of curiosity..my friend has a '71 e-body that he parted out..any ideas what the ratio in that would normally be ?

The sure grips will work with all three cases, but I think the gears are specific to the 741, 741, and 489 if you're just doing ring gear / pinion

I gather that 8 3/4 rear ends were produced into 1972.

What kind of cars can I scrounge one from ?

Thanks

Depends on the type of sure grip - cone types bring less than clutch types. 350 is in the ballpark for a cone type but not for a clutch type. Then it depends on the gear ratio on that sure grip. A 3.55 brings more than a 3.23 or 2.76, simply because more people want that ratio.

I think I've found more 2:94's in vehicles than any other ratio, so they seem to be the standard issue unit, although Chrysler does call the 3:23 their "maximum performance" ratio, it was an option! I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3:23 in that E body! Geof

I have not have a E body apart yet that did not have either a 3.23 or 3.55 stock.

How fast do you drive, my dad and grandpa had matching 70 dodge trucks, same power train, one truck had 3.23 the other had 3.91.

The 3.91 got better mileage by 2 mpg, please keep in mind the max speed at the time in the US was 55 and in WV it is real hilly.

Gear your car according to how YOU drive.

I gather that 8 3/4 rear ends were produced into 1972.

What kind of cars can I scrounge one from ?

Thanks

The 8.75 rearend with the non-tapered axles was used from 1964 up until 1974. The clutch type suregrip in the 741/742 cases can be found in all Mopar models including C-Bodies, trucks and vans until around mid 69. The cone type suregrip in the 489 and 741 cases can be found in all mopar models from mid-69 up until 74 with the exception of the A-bodies which stopped using the 8.75 in 72. The 741 was discontinued in 72 and the 489 became standard until 74 when the 8.75 was discontinued.

Joe

Good information. I used to remember which one I had but I need to go back..

I was trolling around ebay and I noticed sure grip parts...I am assuming you cannot convert one yourself... I think that is beyond me..

I really appreciate the help.

I figure we have a week or 2 left in the driving season so collect now until it is warm enough to start working on it again. But i need to figure out what I have again.

damn, I hate winter.

Thanks, Ian.

-
Back