What is a "WEDGE" motor......

-

Eat My Dust-er

Reaction score
When I see the hood callouts some have wedge on them, what exactly is a wedge?

A wedge is an engine with its valves side by side in a straight line with the valve stems tilted at an angle to the center of the bore. This results in a combustion chamber whose profile is wedge shaped as opposed to a hemi whose profile looks like half a ball. Know that's about as clear as mud but it's the best I can 'splain it in 100 words or less. Hope it helps.

Every chrysler v-8 engine is a wedge except for the 426 hemi and the 318 poly. The word "wedge" on the hood means nothing.

Every chrysler v-8 engine is a wedge except for the 426 hemi and the 318 poly. The word "wedge" on the hood means nothing.

Actually any V-8 before 1958 wasn't a wedge. 1959-1978 B/RB's were wedges, 1964-2002 LA/Magnum's were wedge too. The most common Chrysler V-8's are wedge engines. The new Hemi's aren't wedges either, more of a bathtub-chamber engine. I think they just put the "wedge" callouts on those cars to sound cool, even though you couldn't get an engine in those cars that wasn't a wedge.

Wedge engines are LA 273, 318, 340, 360 (5.2 & 5.9) engines.
All B and RB engines are wedge as well. 350, 361, 383, 400, 413, 426 (Non Hemi) 440.
I think they all use an 18 degree angled vales compared to deck surface of the block. This is so when the valve opened it was not shrouded by the cylinder wall a it opened out and away from the cyl wall. Hope that makes some sense.

A wedge is an engine with its valves side by side in a straight line with the valve stems tilted at an angle to the center of the bore. This results in a combustion chamber whose profile is wedge shaped as opposed to a hemi whose profile looks like half a ball. Know that's about as clear as mud but it's the best I can 'splain it in 100 words or less. Hope it helps.

Thats a really good explanation. Most combustion chambers can be classified as wedge, canted, semi-hemi, or hemi. That being said... what would you classify an engine with the combustion chambers in the block, such as the chevy 409? The blocks are milled at 60* instead of 90* and the heads use a canted 'W' pattern. So would it be a wedge or canted or something different entirely? hmmmmm...

-
Back