What is an alternative shifter to use besides the factory units

-

duster360

Reaction score
I am curious what Hurst shifter handle fits comfortably in an A body. I have the factory Hurst non console handle at the moment. I do like the 72-74 B body pistol grip handles but not looking for that either. I have seen some use the super short Hurst handle, but again, not looking for that either. Anyone try something similar like this? Click the link below. Pictures are welcome.

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/produ...nt-competition-plus-stick/?mk=&yr=&md=&sm=&e=

I tried a few in my Duster, ran the short one for awhile but went back to the stock handle for the competition plus shifter, I believe its the one on your link. It was most comfy in the seat so I could hit a gear good, used a tee handle on top.

That's a GM shifter handle. The shifter ball threads are different from mopar handle as well, 3/8" x 24. The stock boot is for a round handle not a rectangular one like in your link. I'm sure it will work but may hit the dash in Rev., 1st and 3rd.

If I decided to switch shifters, I don't have a problem getting a boot to fit it. But I don't want my hands hitting the dash either. Surely the super short shifter isn't the only one that will work in an A body.

The new handle will work in the stock boot. I'm pretty sure all aftermarket Hurst handles used a different thread than Mopar, use one of there balls or a tee handle. I believe at one time there was an adapter for the threads but not sure if its still available. I had no problem in my car with it hitting the dash.

-
Back