What is everyone’s opinion of wide body flares?

-
I think those belong on trucks, even on the new cars, wide body? Truck flares!!

I have a 1971 Demon that has minor metal/paint crack with bad bondo job on rear fenders. Its going to cost me several thousands of dollars, have not committed to the idea yet but did a quick painters tape hold of what it would look like what are everyone’s thoughts. Might do all 4 with flares might not and might just drive it with messed up rear fenders until i save for few years down the line

View attachment 1716166466

View attachment 1716166467
Weneed to keep the heritage. My vote is to drive it and restore it. Those "flares" will not add to the value. That said, it is your car and your dime, so what suits your fancy is what to do.
My particular prefference if flares for wide wheels and tires is in the TransAm race car style. The 1/4 panels and front fenders were beaten out with a hammer on the inside with a shot bag on the outside. This stretched and pushed the metal out. Then you need a mini English Wheel that you can work over the flare to level out the surface. Pick and file also works. Then when the left and right profiles match, the inner fenders need to be reconstructed to fill the fender profile.
Time consuming and expensive if you need a body shop to do the work. This would be when knowing a car club member that is a metal man is invaluable.

As others have said, flare can look great on these cars if the rest of it fits the look. For example, this Duster. He’s ruining a crown Vic (wide) front suspension and rear axle which obviously widened the track width considerably, so the flares were necessary.

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

And then there’s this 68 Dart being built by one of the head guys at SRT. It’s absolutely badass! These two cars are inspiration for what I plan to do with my first car, a ROUGH 75 Scamp that will be getting heavily modified.

IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1110.jpeg

My opinion of any "custom" work to thes old cars is, just always... rememeber, If or WHEN you decide to sell that car, most buyers will not have the same vision you had, perhaps.?? If these works can be easily reversed and IF the buyer wants to fool with reversal, then....

In my opinion Wide Body and Flares are totally different things.
Those are Flares
this is Wide Body, where the full Fender/Quarter is ballooned out.
wide.jpg

Alan

I guess great for a `Rat Rod` but not my style to each there own though

I have a 1971 Demon that has minor metal/paint crack with bad bondo job on rear fenders. Its going to cost me several thousands of dollars, have not committed to the idea yet but did a quick painters tape hold of what it would look like what are everyone’s thoughts. Might do all 4 with flares might not and might just drive it with messed up rear fenders until i save for few years down the line

View attachment 1716166466

View attachment 1716166467
Leave them off.

My opinion of any "custom" work to thes old cars is, just always... rememeber, If or WHEN you decide to sell that car, most buyers will not have the same vision you had, perhaps.?? If these works can be easily reversed and IF the buyer wants to fool with reversal, then....

I hate the "but what about the resale" argument.

You want to spend your life driving someone else's car just so you get the most resale out of it? What a waste of life. Make it the way you want it and enjoy it.

You can't take it with you, enjoy it while you can. EVERYTHING can be reversed, some of it just requires more money and talent. If someone doesn't have the skills to change my car back to stock (if that's what they want to do), well, I don't want that kind of person to own my car after me anyway. If that means I lose out on some "resale", well I don't really care. Can't take the money with me either.

In my opinion Wide Body and Flares are totally different things.
Those are Flares
this is Wide Body, where the full Fender/Quarter is ballooned out.
View attachment 1716168353

Alan

Yeah I would agree with that. I'm not sure the terms are defined quite that exactly but I would definitely agree that a true wide body has more extensive bodywork done to it than just a set of flares.

Don't do it. If you want to do it right and properly 'mold' the quarter panels out a bit, that would probably look OK, but don't do those plastic things!!!!!!!

-
Back