What is going on with my springs

-

ratvon

Reaction score
I bought a rear that was slightly narrowed and put the spring relocation kit in without mini tubbing and these wheels just fit until I found out the register was wrong on the axles long story short when I got the correct axles the wheels moved out which I knew they would so now I have this clearance issue . The clearance wont stay consistant. Just moving around the driveway and on and off the trailer the quarter clearance go from 3/8 inch to 1 1/4 ,while sitting in the same spot on concrete .I haven't drove it yet for fear of crunching my quarter. And it looks like mini tubbing would be a big deal since the trunk spring mounts are on the wheel well. And I'm kinda stuck with this rim due to fact of the backspacing options. right now all I can think of is putting more arch in the springs
Love to here your opinions

Last edited:
I bought a rear that was slightly narrowed and put the spring relocation kit in without mini tubbing and these wheels just fit until I found out the register was wrong on the axles long story short when I got the correct axles the wheels moved out which I knew they would so now I have this clearance issue . The clearance wont stay consistant. Just moving around the driveway and on and off the trailer the quarter clearance go from 3/8 inch to 1 1/4 ,while sitting in the same spot on concrete .I haven't drove it yet for fear of crunching my quarter. And it looks like mini tubbing would be a big deal since the trunk spring mounts are on the wheel well. And I'm kinda stuck with this rim due to fact of the backspacing options
Love to here your opinions
20170928_135305.jpg

Your seeing this clearance change at the top of the tire? What rear end did you install? Have you jacked the car up to check the end play on the axles?

Your seeing this clearance change at the top of the tire? What rear end did you install? Have you jacked the car up to check the end play on the axles?
8 3/4 doesn't seem to be axle end play the clearance I'm referring to is the lip on the quarter and the top of the tire when I got the correct register spacing it moved my wheel out I think whats going on is the car wasn't settled when I put weight in the back it goes down about half inch and stays there so I think I'm going to take the springs and put an inch more arch in them that will give me about 1 1/2 inches when settled what do you think?

Nice looking car. The front quarter lip is normally the clearance issue area. I understand about the upper lip as well. Are there multiple holes in the spring front bracket? I know on my Demon there are 3 mount holes in the front bracket and moving the mount bolt up or down makes a pretty significant change. The problem with having the springs arched is they will settle back over time. They’re going to settle some anyway. My belief is if the springs aren’t heated after re arching they’re going to go back to where they are, maybe someone will chime in with experience in that area. If you don’t mind me asking what size tire is on the rear?

Nice looking car. The front quarter lip is normally the clearance issue area. I understand about the upper lip as well. Are there multiple holes in the spring front bracket? I know on my Demon there are 3 mount holes in the front bracket and moving the mount bolt up or down makes a pretty significant change. The problem with having the springs arched is they will settle back over time. They’re going to settle some anyway. My belief is if the springs aren’t heated after re arching they’re going to go back to where they are, maybe someone will chime in with experience in that area. If you don’t mind me asking what size tire is on the rear?
Thanks just getting done after 4 years .. 15 x 10 3 1/2 " backspacing 295 55 15 tire I bought the axle already done not realizing the register space was wrong. I am at the bottom hole now thinking of drilling another hole a half inch back while the springs are out to center the wheel better

Last edited:
What do you mean by the register space being wrong? Are you running spacers because the rim bore won't sit over the hub register on the axle?

Or do you mean that when you bought the correct large bolt pattern axles the axle flange offset changed (because it's different than the SBP flange offset) and that pushed the wheel out closer to the quarters (which is exactly what it would do)?

What do you mean by the register space being wrong? Are you running spacers because the rim bore won't sit over the hub register on the axle?

Or do you mean that when you bought the correct large bolt pattern axles the axle flange offset changed (because it's different than the SBP flange offset) and that pushed the wheel out closer to the quarters (which is exactly what it would do)?
Yes I guess I shouldn't be saying wrong register it's the shorter measurement that you have with the smaller register from the flange and to the housing

Sorry I mean axle flange to housing flange which is smaller with sbp. The axles were made with the Bbp but had the sbp register and sbp flange to housing spacing and that threw all my measurements off

-
Back