What is going on with these rod bearings?

-
My current home has a Generac home generator. It came with the house, it was programed to run every Wednesday at 9:00 am for 8 minutes . Guess what the oil looked like? I now run it once a month for 30-45 minutes no more moisture in the oil.
It's time to overhaul your engine, it will have several other issues besides odd looking bearings. My '72 318 had good looking plugs when I bought it, supposedly under 100,000 mi, it showed 69, something, then I noticed that the numbers did not line up on the speedo. It was hemorrhaging oil. I decided to go through it, very glad that I did , rods were into the copper, timing chain was shot, valve guides, cam was flat, it took 30 over to clean it up. The lifter galley was full of lead from good old regular gas! Just overhaul it.

Lmao, mean while at another thread where I commented about intermittent starting of a car in the garage and it's effects......................

If those bearings are in a /6 I'd put them back in and run them. Should get another 60k out of them with fresh oil changes.

I wouldn't re-use those brgs. Brgs are not that expensive & those brgs are pitted, whatever the cause might be. Pitting doesn't fix itself but it sure can get worse...

I wouldn't re-use those brgs. Brgs are not that expensive & those brgs are pitted, whatever the cause might be. Pitting doesn't fix itself but it sure can get worse...
I agree, never reuse brgs for any reason. Even if you do a tear down on a low mileage engine that you have just got, put new bearings in it. As stated earlier, I have to agree that it looks like the bearings suffered from the lack of regular oil changes.

minutes at idle will not heat out moisture and will add it
Maybe back east where it snows, so run it longer. If you gonna sit and argue to this point.. you only eluding to the idea running your engine is harder on it than letting it sit in extreme weather stationary for moisture to do it transformation to rust.

Dont run your engine then and let it rust.
Let those seats with the open valves pit up so it can burn away and leak.

I've always, even if sitting in the driveway for 30 min... fired it up every weekend if not drive it for an hr.

I bet you would rebut how put on socks...or wipe your ***. You'd probably offer wiping with your hand is more eco friendly...and saves paper eh?..then I bet you would ad licking off your hand to save water as well eh!

Old bearings,lead...and decades of moisture in the oil... oil floats to the top....the first time its fired after LONG periods of sitting in weather cycled/condensation...and it's more water than oil that goes through initially.

They say it's good to start and run them once a week for 20 min for a reason.
Garage kept helps, some... but tits mostly the temp/moisture.
Yup, going from warm to cold will produce condensation at summer to fall, and winter to spring. if t you live in a humid/damp area etc.

-
Back