What is the right Z Bar?

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster that I just restored and converted from a 904 to 833 4 speed. Everything is working ok, but I have a couple of issues with the clutch that I need some help with. I bought a pedal set that was from a A body but I do not recall the year. I think it was a 70-72. Any way, the clutch that was installed is a Zoom OEm replacement and work good. I do how ever have a problem if I push the clutch pedal to the floor while shifting. The throw out bearing that I installed is a hi performance Hayes unit and when I push the pedal to the floor, I get a grinding noise. It appears to be the clutch fork rubbing on the pressure plate. I adjusted the shift rod from the Z Bar to the bell fork as pere the book but I have to much travel. I think that the Z bar may be the wrong one. I have heard of there being differnt Z Bars for different A bodies.

The second issue is related the the first I think. If I back off the clutch rod adjustment to make the pedal be able to go to the floor and not have the fork rub, the clutch peddal is fairly low down and when the car is accelerating, the pedal gorws and pushes up until the pedal presses against the stop on the pedal frame. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?? Thanks for reading and hope you came help.

Check the motor and tranny mounts, something may be moving around.

How long is the clutch fork?
Did you use a 12" or 10.5".
12" is correct for a small block "A" body.
You can check this by removing the boot on the side of the bellhousing.

Also there are different clutch fork pivot brackets for "A" and "B & E" bodies.

A call to Wayne at Brewer's may help after you verify that the correct parts are on the car.

Good luck

sounds like a jacked pressure plate. the Zoom stuff is made in another country ,You know where,thus the quality of a once good name in clutches is :thumbdow: just my experience

I had a similar issue. The pedal never wanted to return up all the way and the car shifted like crap. It basically acted like the clutch never wanted to release all of the way.

Cause cheap Chinese made pressure plate bought from Checker now Oriley.

Solution Centerforce clutch (don't know where they are made but definitely seems to be great quality)

-
Back