what is the tallest tire

-
i have 275/60/15s on there now.i have 4.88 gears and i would like to go to a taller tire.i dont need to buy a 29" or 30" tire to find out thay wont fit.thanks for the help

Much taller than 28" will rub the front of the wheel well. If you want to go taller you will need to either move tha axle back (it can be moved back about an inch) or cut the front of the wheel well off or both.

Much taller than 28" will rub the front of the wheel well. If you want to go taller you will need to either move tha axle back (it can be moved back about an inch) or cut the front of the wheel well off or both.

yup! i run a 29 inch with my rear moved back a little more than an inch and it is very very close..my next tire will be a 28

I think most guys put an 1" thick block behind the spring hanger. Im not sure on that though and there may be other ways to do it as well. Some one will chime in who has done it.

Bump!

well i cant help because my springs are relocated and therefore my boxes have two sets of holes, but im not sure how you would do it with stock hangers

then your good to go

what you want to do is drill a set of holes 1 inch back from the original holes (1 inch back towards the rear- while your at it you may also want to drill a hole below and above the original height for ride height options, something which i did as well)

I also moved the rear spring shackle back, but that required some modification, although most dont do it...alot of people leave it, but i didnt want the shackle to be slung back, so i moved it back to make it point straight down at regular ride height...let me know if you want pics and ill try and take some for ya, but give me a bit of time as im going through a hectic time right now

let me know

hey dave i got a chance to go into the garage for some pics (damn was it cold! lol) and here they are...as you can some metal was removed from the frame and i made up a new peice in order for the shackle to move back an inch, and has you can see in the pics the shackle is now it is supposed to be (as opposed to being in a position where it could bottom out going over bumps) enjoy!

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

Nice work mshred. Now how about some pics of the other side.

well its the exact same thing but just the other side lol...not much different really...plus, the car is sleeping in the garage for the winter and squeezing in to the driver side when its against the wall of the garage for pics is kinda hard lol

LOL. I ment the front part of the spring at the hanger so he can see what that side look like.

oh oops! LOL...im actually glad you asked for this since i just realized i lost the pics of it on my computer but still have them on photobucket (gotta resave them)...heres one of the boxes, hope this helps

IMG_0786.jpg

thanks for the help. when i get my car back from gatting a cage in it i will look into doing that.i have to drop the rear end to put the cal-tracks in.

just thought of something...putting those holes 1 inch back in the boxes with them already welded in may be a little tricky...the holes on each side of the box dont line up your gonna have some serious problems

thats not the issue...it can be done dont get me wrong, just take your time obviously and make sure everything is straight...good luck man!

dave , a 28" will fit with the right back space wheel and maybe a 1/4" wheel spacer . i think mine were 15 x 8 - Welds with 4.5" bs . i have a pic somewhere . i know they were tight in there--and i rolled in my quarter lip and --i think at the time i had mini tubbed it.....but the springs were NOT moved in yet... I had MT et streets 28x11.5 and also Hoosier QTP 28 x 11.5 on my 70

bring your dart to cedar falls next year!

496dart i plan on going to cedar falls this year.it will be my first time down the track.im going to run to the 1/8 the first 2 or 3 times to see what the car does and make sure everything stays together.im hoping i dont run out of gear the first time i run the 1/4.

488 is way too much for 1/4, unless you want to spin it to 7K or have a 31" tire.

depending on your motor combo of course...

mine had 28" with a 4:10 and it crossed the 1/4 stripe at around 6400

the 488 is a great 1/8 mile gear though 8)

I run a 28 x 11.50 ET Street in my 70 Dart with stock spring location and stock tubs. My 28 inch tires rubbed the front of the quarter at 130 mph right as it reached the traps. I have seen guys also redrill the dowel hole in the spring perch to move it back as well. Of course the shock plate will have to be modified.

-
Back