What is this connector/circuit?

-

DartSwinger451

Reaction score
I need help identifying this connector/ circuit on my 1972 Dart Swinger.

It is a three position female plug with 2 yellow wires. One yellow with black trace and two pink wires. I am thinking it is the connector shown in the wiring diagram. I haven't located the mating connector under the dash but I am assuming it is under there somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

20180306_195955.jpg

20180306_200021.jpg

20180306_200014.jpg

20180306_200007.jpg

20180306_200933.jpg

Ignition time delay relay it would seem. The colors point to that. They were used For many years and into and after 2001. It is a thermal relay that heats up upon door switch ground signal and operates the lamp for the ignition switch. It gives you time between entry and closing the door to put the key in. The longer you keep the door open the hotter it gets and delays how long the lamp stays on.

They are readily available on the web. Search Mopar ignition lamp delay relay. Mopar used these at least since 1968, likely even sooner. I refurbed mine in a 69 A01 optioned Barracuda.

Likely still a valid part at your local dealer as well.

Last edited:
Here is a pic and the part number shown.

6C30911D-E13A-4E26-9354-853E98E91EF4.jpeg

Looking at the drawing it is confusing though. Generally pink is hot +12 from the lighter feed, yellow is door switch ground and yellow/ black trace goes to the ignition lamp and also headlight buzzer if equipped. Yellow or yellow/black trace should be to the map lamp switch as well as it just passes the door ground or when the switch is flipped switches to ground via the case of the switch. That drawing is subject as I believe it is in errror. Anyway what is missing and plugs in to the connector in your pic is the time delay relay as shown.

Eureka! I think this solves the mystery. I really appreciate your help with this problem. I had been searching for a mating connector with no luck.

Just be sure to buy a new one and not used, there are plenty of new ones out there. Otherwise you may end up doing as I did and refurbishing it. Not hard to do but a waste of time when so many new ones are out there. Had I known at the time , I would not have bothered. I just assumed it was another hard to find 69 part, but it was still being produced in 2001!

Last edited:
If you want a used one, they can sometimes be found in the fuse block of later Dodge trucks and vans from the late 80's. Like 1969383S said, up to 2001.

-
Back