What is this?

-

67BBCuda

'67 Barracuda Fastback
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this piece is? It's between the spindle and the dust shield. Is it necessary and if so, where can I get a new one?

20220329_091838.jpg

It's called a gasket, it helps keep dirt out of the wheel bearing/brake area. You don't need it but it helps.

Yes, you need it if you do not want water, dirt and debris getting into your bearings.

You can make a new one out of packing foam.

OR you can use high temp RTV.

Yes, you need it if you do not want water, dirt and debris getting into your bearings.

You can make a new one out of packing foam.

Uh, that’s what the wheel bearing seal is for. That little piece of foam just seals the backing plates you don’t need either to the spindle. Probably does more to keep the backing plate from rattling than anything else.

Or Detroit Muscle Technologies

DMT is the best for gaskets and seals!

Uh, that’s what the wheel bearing seal is for. That little piece of foam just seals the backing plates you don’t need either to the spindle. Probably does more to keep the backing plate from rattling than anything else.

DMT is the best for gaskets and seals!
I always thought that foam "gasket" was more of an insulator to keep the sheet metal dust plate from rattling and causing noises against the spindle.

I always thought that foam "gasket" was more of an insulator to keep the sheet metal dust plate from rattling and causing noises against the spindle.

Yeah there's going to be far more dust on the rotor side of the splash shield than the spindle side, so if keeping grit out of the bearings is the goal it's in the wrong spot.

Honestly I think those foam gaskets are more about keeping the separate parts from rusting or corroding together than anything else. But I run without the splash shields entirely and have for decades. All they ever seem to do for me is trap gravel between the shield and rotor.

Yeah there's going to be far more dust on the rotor side of the splash shield than the spindle side, so if keeping grit out of the bearings is the goal it's in the wrong spot.

Honestly I think those foam gaskets are more about keeping the separate parts from rusting or corroding together than anything else. But I run without the splash shields entirely and have for decades. All they ever seem to do for me is trap gravel between the shield and rotor.
Yup, they are bad about that.

I save packing foam in various thicknesses for making gaskets like that.
The same foam - gasket is use behind the master cylinder, backing plate and yes, I make them out of packing material. Being both places where they use has to do with brakes or its fluid, I believe it has something to do with rust or corrosion between the parts. I don't think they were there to keep the wheel bearings clean from dirt or grim.

-
Back