What is this?

-

Dart Shawn

I wanna go fast!!!
Reaction score
I am a bit on the new side to getting to the nitty gritty of Mopars. I finished building my engine, put it in got it all broke in it runs just fine now yet I couldnt get it to start with the key to save my life!!! then I remembered the haggard *** wiring harness I had on the plug for the neutral safety switch. I unplugged this little box-( i have no clue what the box is for or what it does) my question is WHAT IS THIS BOX???? the engine runs great with out it is it something that if its not hooked up can hurt my car in the long run? what is it for? what does it do? I nay not have even plugged it into the right place yet there is only one socket on the engine harness that matches it.

Heres a picture of the box I'm talking about the car is a 1974 Dart swinger 318 with factory AC, wasnt sure if you needed to know that but maybe it'll help.

P1010003-1.jpg

Shawn.

If it's a 74 and you got it off the drivers fender near the firewall, I will bet it is that stupid seatbelt safety feature that won't let you start your car until your buckled in. I believe they only did it a year or two then removed it when everyone complained.

I bypassed the one in my 74 Duster a couple of years ago.

I agree, it looks like the starter bypass thats mounted on the driver side inner fender. I have a 74 duster with one, my starter bypass was bypassed when i bought my car but its still mounted to my fender. Does it have a little hole on the end that a pen tip might fit into? If so than its definitly the starter bypass

DartShawn, looks like you got a definative answer. Something that you may not have gotten without giving all the facts (year & model). More info is good...
C

Thank's guys!,

I pulled the box out and plugged my neutral safety switch directly into the socket, car starts up every time!, I was wondering what the hell te problem was, the neutral safety switch wasnt even hooked up. I ended up putting a remote starter switch in my dash, now I can pull it out and put in a circuit kill switch!

Thanks again!

Shawn.

Your picture is the EGR delay typically mounted on the passenger side firewall above the blower motor. The seatbelt interlock sits on the driver side near the wiper fluid bottle and mounts with an L-shaped bracket. The seatbelt interlock has a round cylindrical area that you can use a pointed object like a pencil point to override the seatbelt not being buckled to get the starter to crank.

Ditto on the seat belt interlock. The little brown "box" you show is the EGR delay timer like Randy said. Here is what my Haynes Manual says:

"Some models are equipped with an EGR delay system that uses an electrical timer mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment which controls an engine-mounted solenoid. The timer prevents any exhaust gas recirculation for at least 35 seconds after the engine has started."

When I installed a Super Six system on my son's slant six, I removed all the EGR components (EGR valve, vacuum amplifier, CCEGR, EGR delay solenoid, etc.). It doesn't need the little box.

Jerry

74sport and 1974dartsport got it. i have an old chiltons and it isn't even in there. but its in the haynes.its also in the wiring diagram.

I shouldnt need it then, this is nothing but motor, gutted of all the smog BS. so I should be able to pull the box and plug in the neutral safty switch?

Shawn.

That is called a "thing-a-ma-jig".

Just get back to me when you need some more help.

It's kind of hard to say where I'm plugging the switch into, the car always started with out the seat belts being together well ehrn the car would start any ways. the wiring may not have been correct to start with, I plugged the NS switch into the only socket I seen there that would be a direct connection. It would make sence that it is the correct socket becuase it is perfect length to the switch yet when the seat belt relay was plugged in the wires were very tight and it didn't work.

Shawn.

What are you plugging the neutral switch into?

Jerry

Shawn, the neutral safety switch is a switch with three horizontal slots that plug into three prongs on the driver's side of the transmission. The wiring comes down from the engine harness between the ballast resistor and the starter.

-
Back