What is your current autocross/road course tire/wheel setup?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Well, it's January which means that my brain is back to chewing up the internet looking for ways to make my Dart Sport drive and handle better before spring time. I suspect I'm not alone in this.

Tire options are always evolving (usually for the worse) and wheel aesthetic choices are changing too. It seems like it's worth a check-in with the new year!

What are you running this year? If you don't have them yet, what are you looking for?

Well, it's January which means that my brain is back to chewing up the internet looking for ways to make my Dart Sport drive and handle better before spring time. I suspect I'm not alone in this.

Tire options are always evolving (usually for the worse) and wheel aesthetic choices are changing too. It seems like it's worth a check-in with the new year!

What are you running this year? If you don't have them yet, what are you looking for?
I started with the Nitto NT05, which is a 200TW tire and they came in sizes that I wanted. Unfortunately, they really suck for autocross. I found they wore quick and didn't grip very well. Moral of the story, don't get those if you're looking for lots of grip.

Last summer I switched the to the Faulken Azenis RT660s. I went with 275-35-18 in the back and 235-40-18 in the front. These tires are light years ahead of the Nittos. The tires were new when I arrived at Moparty. I did 25 autocross laps, and at least a dozen speed stop laps. The "Falken" embossed in the center tread was still visible after all that. I will likely get my front wheel widened so I can run 275 squared.

To put the grip difference in prospective, when I autocross I start in 2nd gear so I don't have to shift. With the Nittos, I could blaze the tires to rev limiter if I wanted to when starting. With the Falkens, the car just goes.

I chose the 660s for the following reasons, listed in prioritized order:
1.) They are consistently rated as one of the best 200TW tires (top 3 of many tests)
2.) Sizing that works for my car
3.) Price and availability

Some other 200TW tires I considered:
Nankang (hard to get sometimes)
Bridgestone RE71RS (heard they wear quick)
Dunlop Direzza ZIII (old design but I've driven a Miata with them on track and they were pretty good)
Falken RT615 (cheapest)
Yokahama Advan A052 (most expensive, but really good)
Nexen N Fera Sport R
Hancook Ventus R-S4

Hope this helps. Happy shopping!

I started with the Nitto NT05, which is a 200TW tire and they came in sizes that I wanted. Unfortunately, they really suck for autocross. I found they wore quick and didn't grip very well. Moral of the story, don't get those if you're looking for lots of grip.

Last summer I switched the to the Faulken Azenis RT660s. I went with 275-35-18 in the back and 235-40-18 in the front. These tires are light years ahead of the Nittos. The tires were new when I arrived at Moparty. I did 25 autocross laps, and at least a dozen speed stop laps. The "Falken" embossed in the center tread was still visible after all that. I will likely get my front wheel widened so I can run 275 squared.

To put the grip difference in prospective, when I autocross I start in 2nd gear so I don't have to shift. With the Nittos, I could blaze the tires to rev limiter if I wanted to when starting. With the Falkens, the car just goes.

I chose the 660s for the following reasons, listed in prioritized order:
1.) They are consistently rated as one of the best 200TW tires (top 3 of many tests)
2.) Sizing that works for my car
3.) Price and availability

Some other 200TW tires I considered:
Nankang (hard to get sometimes)
Bridgestone RE71RS (heard they wear quick)
Dunlop Direzza ZIII (old design but I've driven a Miata with them on track and they were pretty good)
Falken RT615 (cheapest)
Yokahama Advan A052 (most expensive, but really good)
Nexen N Fera Sport R
Hancook Ventus R-S4

Hope this helps. Happy shopping!

I take it these are 16 inch tires - is that correct?

Nice, as we are looking for 16 inch wheel/tire combinations.

Which wheels do you have?

I take it these are 16 inch tires - is that correct?

Nice, as we are looking for 16 inch wheel/tire combinations.

Which wheels do you have?
18" as indicated by the tires size I mentioned. Going with 16" limits both wheel and tire options since it isn't a very common size in today's market.

-
Back