What kind of paint did the factory use in the 60's?

-

Hersbird

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to paint my engine bay and was wondering if you can still buy factory style paint from the 60's. I know there were a lot of changes in the laws but do they still sell that kind of hard, one step paint they used to use? Or what is the modern substitute? I was going to buy a new Wagner control spray plus electric HLVP gun for a bunch of projects and figured it might work better then spray cans for under the hood. I have all the codes for my 68 WW1 Barracuda so will just buy a pint from the paint store. Is that enough for the engine bay and the underside of the hood? This isn't trying to be a restoration or a show car, just a clean slate for my driver.

Probably need a quart.Nason,Crossfire,and Centauri all good stuff.Shoot with a real spray gun ,if you have access to an air compressor.zIf not,most paint places can put pre mixed paint,in an aerosol can.A clean ,primed engine compartment would do well with 2 16 oz cans.For me two coats covered well over grey primer both ways.

The paint distributor will have all that you need. Acrylic enamel, hardener, fisheye remover, etc.. Onestep is rather simple to spray and works well. Prep is all important as with any paint job.

-
Back