What made A bodies non-popular

-
It's pretty much supply and demand. The stronger the demand and the small the supply, drives up the prices. End of story. If u want to bring down prices, (hate to put it this way) stop buying parts. If you stop demand for it the prices will go down

oh ok i understand now about the 454 heads. and as far as the chevy powered charger goes i cant find the right pic imma do some more research and get back to you on that.

I read that also in a few places, and watched the movie again. They never show the engine, Vin says it has a Hemi in it, but when they are in the garage standing next to it, you can see some plug wires going around the back of the motor, if its not a 350, then its a small block mopar, i forgot to look when they flip it, if they show the bottom of the oil pan. I just cant stand to watch that movie again. Its also proof that movie writers know nothing about cars.

I know a lot of people that think A Bodies are ugly. Back when I bought my first Dart, it was because no one wanted them, and you could get them for free, or close.

Compare numbers with the Mustang. They sold over a MILLION mustangs in the first two years. When I was in high school, I couldn't afford a Mustang. Now, they are easier and cheaper than a Dart. Bastards. The main reason is that there were so many more made, they are less rare.

hey i was thinkin about that recessed panel on a duster 70-71 maybe 72, it would have to be all the way across and some type of trim applied to it kinda like the 69-70 coronet R/T's were done im thinkin about a 1/2 inch recess with a chrome band around it the lights would have to change but still keeping the same style maybe split the lights kinda like the 70 coronet R/T's and 500's no chrome around those though not sure though but it does have possibilities

kids freak out now when they see a tiburon or however the f*ck you spell it or i wish i had a nickle everytime ive heard the phrase omg its the fast and furious car! and there will an eclipse going buy. im like wtf, slow, no power, if you did see that movie there was only one star, the charger period. till the bastards flipped it :mumum:

Ya but don't spread that too far... In the 2 movie that same charger was powered by a chev 350 with a fake blower on it! Lets let that one die on its own...#-o

Because of her ......

GrandmaLogo3166165252_std.jpg

All it would take is for the Dart/Duster/Barracude platform to be featured in a BIG motion picture or tv show... and voila.. the new General Lee!

the movie duel didnt help make the A body look cool. made it look like a working mans commuter with no power . now if they would have dropped a 340 in that lil red valiant and had barry newman drive it across country outrunning the cops, that would have made them cool cars. or picture that lil red valiant chasing down steve mcqueen through san fransisco. how about an orange valiant with an 01 on the door? other people besides us would be buying up A bodies left and right.

I think the beauty is you can do what you want with A bodies and not feel guilty. Great cars to modify and upgrade to your taste. The most potential in performance and handling IMO. You can drive and enjoy. Possibly the best Dodge and Plymouth.

IMO if there was any reason they were unpopular it was because they were not offered with the BB or Hemi, except for racing.

I don't think the term unpopular applies to the A Body. The A Body generally out sold any of Chrysler's other models in most given years, easily reaching six figure production numbers. Granted most of those units were the garden variety slantys and 318's but there is no denying the A's styling appeal in addition to their mechanical simplicity and reliability. Hec, most of the B body guys I know also have an A or have many fond stories of the 340 A they used to own and how our 340's easily match the bigger cars. The respect is genuine. Seems like every other family I knew had one at one time or another and nowadays, they all want to buy 'em when they see one.

I appreciate the F Body's but IMO, Chrysler goofed up when it discontinued the A body after '76. With the F's, I don't know if it was pressure from the government or just plain old "we've got to introduce something new for the sheep" to look fresh with but they could've continued the A with strong sales, well into the late 70's. Even though those were dark years for Chrysler, they hit a home run with the Cordoba. While the Volares and Aspens stole some sales from the Dart and the Duster in '76, it just wasn't that much to signify a benchmark by introducing the new F. Little known fact is the '76 Dart/Duster 360 was one of the fastest factory muscle cars you could buy that year, effortlessly equalling or surpassing the performance of the almighty Corvette or Pontiac Trans Am, at least in a straight line.

In looking back, it's interesting to note that well into the 80's, there were still quite a few 10 to 20 year old Darts and Dusters on the road while very few Volare's and Aspens (in spite of decent production numbers) didn't last beyond 5 -7 years. Not picking on the F's (if I could have one, it would be a '79 Volare Road Runner 360 - best year IMO) but it's just what I witnessed during that time. Even the mega popular Dart/Duster peers from Ford, GM and AMC - Mavericks, Vegas and Hornets - returned to earth by the early 80's. I have to say, the AMC Hornet 360 is quite the sleeper. The Chevy Nova remained a contender though as they remained quite popular for a long time.

I luv gama :p hi!
That is true about the movies, maybe we should just make one big *** crazy clip of people runnin from the cops and drag racin and all this crazy stuff..
End of movie.. What was that? Idk but it was fluffin awesome!

In the late 70's & early 80s the a-bodies were so unwanted I was able to buy 340 swingers that ran and drove for as little as 40.00 in my local area. I never paid over 200.00 for one back then.
They were just a old car. The factory manifolds intake and exhaust were tossed away years ago along with the original wheels and caps. All replaced with the normal hot rod parts. It was as if darts had the plague or something. But man did they run!
The barracudas were not as easy to find or as cheap even back then in this area.
The e-bodies were always popular and brought a higher price probably everywhere.
B-bodies were in between with chargers being close to the price of the E's.
I blame it on the duke boys. Of all the B's I've owned I did like my chargers the best.
Now after all the years with mopars it seems I won't part with a few and they are
68-9 a-bodies. The E's B's C's & F's I still like but they don't compare for me.
I catch a lot of "are you crazy" from everyone when I sell a Cuda or charger but refuse
to let my a-bodies go. I like what I like popular or not. Fastback barracudas rule for me.
Darts with the quarters cut come in a real close second. And they all must be 4-speeds.
Great time to be a kid getting into mopars in those days. Hard for the teenagers now its just not the same. Even the junkyards with the bee's & snakes have disappeared.
Glad to see you young guys here. This is the best mopar place to land.
Keep at it popular or not and leave those 4 cylinders alone.

I luv gama :p hi!
That is true about the movies, maybe we should just make one big *** crazy clip of people runnin from the cops and drag racin and all this crazy stuff..
End of movie.. What was that? Idk but it was fluffin awesome!

There have been some movies where a High Performance A-Body was the star.

First one that comes to mind is "Highwaymen", with a 1968 S/S Hemi 'Cuda. I have it on DVD somewhere.

[ame]http://youtu.be/bU3SVIEy8vY[/ame]

Sad to say, they totally destroy the 'Cuda at the end. It gets rolled over, sideswipes another car, and then finally t-bones a car at the very end.

In 1972 my Father bought a new 72 Dart Swinger, slant 6, auto, orange with a black vinyl top, black interior. My buddies on the street thought that was pretty cool.I was 14 or so and went to the lot with him and kept pointing out the Swingers with the v eight motors but we had had a 63 dodge 330 with a slant and as far as he was concerned there was no better engine than that 225 slant six. After he passed in 1977 I finally got to drive that Dart, (no way that was going to happen when he was still kicking) and the buddies still thought it was a pretty cool ride, oh ya, the choice of a six was probably a good thing........

Most here are thinking A body like dart, cuda, and duster, and seeing as how most dont even think about a valiant, im happy. The reason i say that, is i see maybe one valiant a year, as compared to all the mustangs, camaros and so forth. I like having a car that you never see. the price on the valiant is for the most part cheap, yet has the same possabilitys as any other mopar... well ok you need a shoe spoon to cram a hemi into one, but ill take any mopar i can afford, but $ for $, i think my valiants are a good investment. thats my opinion, your mileage may vary.

A body: grossly popular when new and still now because of Afforability and Dependabilty!??? generally the high performance model was a small percentage of that models sales. ( OK so they sold what 90,000 383 roadrunners in '69!????).... the money men can have the 68 ss dart or the 69 440 cuda, we more finacially challenged types love out slant valiants and the 318 transplanted into the 73 duster! LOL

I have no desire for a b,e body, they won't fit in my garage! I think I'm the only 74 duster driver in south eastern Wisconsin,hmm weird.

-
Back