What mechanical fuel pumps are you guys running?

-

tnts72

Reaction score
I currently have a stock replacement on the 318, nothing serious planned for it, but the old pump threaded fitting was pretty rusted up and one of the legs looks like it could become and issue down the road. If I replace it I would like to have a standard style cast bottom vs the stamped steel lower... Figure upgrading the fuel system would be the first step when I build a new engine for this thing anyway, new 3/8 sending unit and 8 an supply line is already done. Something with a return provision would be nice then I would not need a bypass regulator in order to run a return line. Figured I would see what you guys are running before ordering a replacement. Picture is what I currently have.

Attachments

• Duster Fuel Pump.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 214
What I am thinking I would rather have, only wish it had 3/8"npt ports and a return provision.

Attachments

• Duster Cast Fuel Pump.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 219
I currently have a stock replacement on the 318, nothing serious planned for it, but the old pump threaded fitting was pretty rusted up and one of the legs looks like it could become and issue down the road. If I replace it I would like to have a standard style cast bottom vs the stamped steel lower... Figure upgrading the fuel system would be the first step when I build a new engine for this thing anyway, new 3/8 sending unit and 8 an supply line is already done. Something with a return provision would be nice then I would not need a bypass regulator in order to run a return line. Figured I would see what you guys are running before ordering a replacement. Picture is what I currently have.

I was running that pump up until I rebuilt my engine. I had a pump test done while the engine was on the dyno to see if the pump could handle my set up. In my case I had to upgrade my pump. Im running a Carter M6270 now, which needs a regulator. You dont have to run a return line with a mechanical pump, but if you have everything there to do it, it can not hurt.

I have never found a mechanical pump with return line provisions, I did find racing pumps with larger 3/8" NPT, but how many horses are you talking about running? Do you have an idea in mind for what your looking to get out of your engine when you rebuild it? Stroker, high horsepower, stock, ???

The stock pump that you were running will handle a stock to mildly built engine. Some even use it on moderate engines.

I was running that pump up until I rebuilt my engine. I had a pump test done while the engine was on the dyno to see if the pump could handle my set up. In my case I had to upgrade my pump. Im running a Carter M6270 now, which needs a regulator. You dont have to run a return line with a mechanical pump, but if you have everything there to do it, it can not hurt.

I have never found a mechanical pump with return line provisions, I did find racing pumps with larger 3/8" NPT, but how many horses are you talking about running? Do you have an idea in mind for what your looking to get out of your engine when you rebuild it? Stroker, high horsepower, stock, ???

The stock pump that you were running will handle a stock to mildly built engine. Some even use it on moderate engines.

End game on the next motor build 450-500 HP on pump gas. Current 318 I would doubt will make anything North of 300. Will let the wife get some seat time before building the next one. Either a 360 or a 408

What I am thinking I would rather have, only wish it had 3/8"npt ports and a return provision.

Why do you want 3/8 ports? Do you know how big that is? 1/4" NPT is plenty big.

Why do you want 3/8 ports? Do you know how big that is? 1/4" NPT is plenty big.

3/8 npt is standard for most of holleys regulators - 12-841 is the part number I run on my racecar. Like to keep similar setups on multiple cars so they are easier to troubleshoot

Really? I am not aware of that. Most HP mechanical pumps I have looked at have 1/4" NPT ports.

It's a nice piece - billet job. Comes preset at 6.5-7 psi, just installed two this past weekend. You can plug the return port on the bypass feature / mount them in any orientation. Like the Carter pumps these guys put up numbers for, have to do a little shopping.

Don't forget the Clay Smith Cams pumps. They are probably about the highest flowing mechanical pumps there are. They ain't cheap though.

-
Back