what mounts are these ?

-

oldcarnut

Reaction score
i know these are smallblock , are they 318/340/360 & is there any interchangability ? i sold them to a member , he gave me approximate dimensions , not exact outside flange to outside flange , inside to inside etc , so i got a rough dimension on inside of brackets & wasnt quite sure so i sent him these pics & he said they look like what he needs , so he sent me payment & acouple days go by & he says they are not what he needs & wants his money back $55 shipped , i told him id give him $40 back & i havent sent him any funds back just cause this has not set well with me , opinions please , thanx

Attachments

• 084.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 689
  • 085.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 686
The right mount for ALL small blocks is the SAME. ONLY THE LEFT ONE IS DIFFERENT for this vintage of mount (67 - 72). There is about a 1/2 inch difference between the spread for the "ears" for the 273/318 mount compared to the 340/360 mount.

I just went out and measured a 360 block and it is 2 1/2" from ear to ear, a 318 block is 3" between the ears where the bolts go from the block to the mount.

Just measure the spread between the ears where the bolts attach the bracket to the ears on the block. 340/360 left side mounts should measure 2 1/2" and 273/318 mounts will be 3".

Looks like an A body 340-360 mount on drivers side to me. As mentioned, pass side is the same.

IF the inside spread on the drivers side was narrower than the pass side, it's a 340-360 mount

The left side is definately the 340/360 A body mount. The 318 A body mount is TOTALLY different. It has a tab missing that the 340 mount uses. Here's another pic of a 340 mount:
340amounts4.jpg

The right side is a bit harder. The 273-360 used the same passenger side mount on everything BUT the B/E body 318-360 passenger side mount is very similiar in appearance
to the A body. (Only the insulator mounting hole is different). Many people try to use a passenger side B/E body mount on an A body and it really doesn't work well at all!
This is the A body mount with the holes to the left. The B/E body when held this way has the holes on the right. Yours looks correct for the A body.
amount1.jpg

By the way, they are worth $40 to me if he doesn't want them.

swifterthanyou bought them from me , i sent him a message to chime in on this so he can get his money back

Guys, checking in the Mopar Engine books at my buddies shop, the 273 and 318 drivers side brackets measure 3" center of tab to center of tab while the 340 and 360 early A Bodies (pancake style) measure 2.5" center to center.

I have several 340's from 1967 all the way through 1973 and the engine bosses measure 2.5" from the rear of the front boss to the rear of the rear boss, not 3".

I am including a couple of posts from FABO where this was discussed as well and while some might juryrig something with spacers (nuts or washers) this is not correct and puts undue stress on the fastener and boss becasue they are not in direct contact with one another.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=146260&highlight=340+engine+mount

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=146260&highlight=340+engine+mount

When I responded to the seller's offer, I made sure that I asked if the driver side measured 2.5", what I received were 318 mounts. I checked them against five other sets of 318 mounts from engines I had collected over the years as well as three 273's that I still own with the mounts still on them, one of which is a 1966 273 Commando that is all original and stock and simply put, the driver's side mount is different!

Further, the mounts differ for mounting hole locations for 273's and 318's depending upon years.

And yes, for those who will respond that in 1973 the K Frame went to a spool mount from the earlier pancake style, the '73 340 bosses still measure 2.5" on the driver's side and will drop into the pancake style mount K Frames from 1967-1972 small block V-8 frames.

There is a reason Why David Schumaker of Schumaker Creative Services states that the 273/318 and 340/360 mounts are not interchangeable as stated below from his website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(340/360 shown)
'67-72 A-Body V8 273/318 or 340/360 Replacement or Upgrade Kit

We've re-issued the hard-to-find brackets that are mandatory for V8 340/360 replacements or 273/318 to 340/360 upgrades, and we have equally hard-to-find 273/318 replacement brackets, too. (273/318 brackets & 340/360 brackets are not interchangeable.) Kits include powder-coated brackets, factory-style insulators & grade 8 bolts.
(see installation instructions and tech tips)

I welcome the discussion and hope that this assists in resolution to the debate. I am not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, have way too many good transactions and relationships with folks from the past and present to let this one bother me that much however, I was clear about the dimensions in my correspondence with the two individuals that sold me "340" mounts that turned out to be 318 mounts. A tape measure sure goes a long way to resolution prior to shipping or stating that "I have what you need".

I realize mistakes are made, we are all human, hell I sold what I thought was a 3.91 clutch style 742 Suregrip and turned out to be a cone style. I sent the money back including shipping to have it shipped back to me. For those keeping count, my mistake cost me shipping both ways and cost of unit due to my mistake, but I made it right because it was my mistake. It cost me but the education that I recieved was worth it, has not happened since.

I don't even know why this up on the board, oldcarnut stated he would send money back less shipping but did not want the mounts back. I had already boxed them up to mail back provided I got the $15 shipping to send back to him eventhough the cost of the shipping was $10.95 as listed on the USPS label attached to the box.

Greg, really appreciate the heads up however, the mounts oldcarnut sent will not work on the early 360 blocks either.

Guys, I learned a lot in regards to the 318 versus 340 engine mounts through the discussion thread that Swifterthanyou cited. After participating in that discussion, I measured my mounts and discovered that I had 340 mounts (original to the car) bolted up in a jury-rigged fashion to a 318 block. I ended up purchasing a set of the 318 Shumaker mounts since I was unable to find a set on FABO!!

I agree that a simple tape measure or ruler could/should have been used to make sure of the type of mounts that were posted for sale.

It seems that the two parties have agreed upon a course of action.

Art

Art, what did you do with the 340 mounts?? Are they for sale? :p

Thanx for weighing in on this but no, thought we had it worked out but then this tread was started in lieu of a refund soooo....

Still trying to make this sitation acceptable and right with oldcarnut.

Jim

For further edification regarding LA engine mounting brackets, I have included exupts from a couple of publications that include dimensions of the bosses on the driver's side for the 273/318 block vs. the 340/360 block.

If anyone is interested in this set of 273/318 mounts pictured above by oldcarnut, I will sell/ship them for the $55 I have in them as oldcarnut is only now willing to split the difference with me and offer $27.50 in lieu of sending me the full amount and retrieving them for resale by him.

If interested, I have approximately seven additional sets of 273/318 mounts collecting dust on the shelf, just send me a PM.

Attachments

• mopar mounts1.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 379
  • mopar mounts.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 370
  • mopar mounts2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 377
  • mopar mounts3.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 385
hi Jim , here they are , they are identical to the ones on my 68 340 out of my dart , as far as the dimensions you wrote id need a more specific reference point to go off of . just let me know , John

John, they look like the correct ones. The drivers side should measure approximately 2.5" from one leg to the other where the legs bolt to the engine bosses and the passenger side should measure approx. 3" in width but they appear to be correct and what I need.

John, got the brackets today. Really wish you had measured the drivers side as I'd asked and prior to shipping them. What I received was 273-318 mounts not 340-360 mounts. The 318 driver side mount measures 3" center of flange to center of flange and the 340 measures 2.5". I need to ship these back to you and ask for my money back as I already have five sets of 318 mounts and do not need another set unless you wish to propose something different.

well i proposed something different such as selling them on this site & jim chimed in saying he wants his money back from me , his response :

John, I am not interested in recouping my money by having to resell something that was misrepresented. I have done additional research and found actual dimensions of the bosses between the 273/318 block vs. the 340/360 block and they are different. I am still looking to get my money back and send the mounts back to you because the person that expressed interest in the mounts is looking to put them on a 360, they will not work on a 360.

so i guess selling them on here to someone on here isnt good enough & he just wants my money ?

i see an offer on the table to buy all your mounts , there's an opportunity for refund

John Wrote: i tell you what Jim , keep them & sell them to get your money back , i sent you photos & you said they are what you need , im not paying for your mistake & i did not misrepresent myself or the part in anyway , if you had 5 sets already & have 35 years of experience regarding parts use whose to say that youll send back the mounts you got from me ? no refund.

Jim wrote: John, you represented them as 340 mounts from a '72 Duster, pure and simple, you lied! You are dishonest and did not follow my instructions for measuring them prior to shipping them.

One can not tell from pictures what the mounts pictured were for but appear similiar in nature to the 340/360 mounts but without measuring them a picture is useless. Your stall tactics were indicative of where you were headed all along. You made a mistake and are not willing to make it right.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for this but I do hope you learned something from my loss.

To everyone purchasing anything from mearly pictures, make sure you do your homework on manuf. numbers, measurements etc prior to purchasing anything and even if you do, there are those who will say anything to get your money and not make things right.

John, as if I didn't have enough to do already, now I have to take care of you screw up becuase you are not a man of good character but I do hope this situation helps others in some way.

-
Back