What oil for boosted motors

-

mike1965

Reaction score
I was using Brad Penn racing oil SAE 40 in my N/A motor .

Is it ok to still use the same SAE 40 with boost or should i use something like 10 30 or ??

The motor is a Dodge BB 440 stroker hope to make 20 psi at the track and 5 to 10 psi on the street.

Thanks Mike

my machine shop guy swears by brad penn. he told me to always run their 20w50

i browsed around a bit, and i found this article that confirms (different kind of engine, but they actually tested and found that the brad penn 20w50 was great, and switching to a different oil actually caused engine damage)

[ame]http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/news/Forced%20Performance%20Recommendations%20for%20Motor%20Oil.pdf[/ame]

i'm not but the engine on the dyno right ahead of me was a chebbie 400 with a procharger

they also build tons of dirt track engines that run 9200 rpm they run the same oil for them

most of your street oils will not protect your car with the high oil temps in a turbo if you push it a lot. stock turbo cars usually have mobil 1 recommended, but if you are running it hard most of the time, and have the engine running harder than stock, it wont hold up. a lot of the synthetic oils wont work. some will. so you definitely need something "special".

if you are just putzin around on the street not using the turbo much you could get away with anything probably. it really depends on what you are doing. mobil 1 has 'racing' oils which are different than the walmart versions.
What benefits does Mobil 1 Racing™ 0W-50 provide compared with using Mobil 1™ 15W-50?

Mobil 1 Racing oils employ fully synthetic, latest generation, wide viscosity grade racing oil technology designed to help reduce engine friction and protect the engine under high output conditions in high operating temperatures. Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 motor oil offers boosted levels of anti-wear protection (nominal zinc level of 1850 ppm) for extra engine protection in highly loaded flat tappet engine designs.

other oils you can check into are AMSOIL SAE Synthetic High Performance 20w50 maybe Valvoline VV211 VR1 Racing Formula SAE 20W-50

Brad Penn hands down, I dont know anyone in a boosted or N/A race car that runs anything else!!! 500hp to 2000hp, they all run Brad Penn. Not sure on weight.

My son was using 20w-50 Diesel grade oil with his upgraded turbocharger for a Dodge Ram. I know it was not a big block but a 4cyl. He had no problems. It was a wicked fast little car.

-
Back