what oil pan

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Putting a magnum in my dart just wondering what oil people are using stock and deep pan. What are the part numbers and where to buy for best price. I'm using a la timing cover as wel

I have an LA 360, but I chose to go with a deep pan because there is nothing wrong with having more oil. But a stock pan would work just fine too, most of it is personal preference.

Just don't get a pan that sits low! I learned how fun having a low pan was lol, went with a low profile milodon pan, I"m sure there is an equivalent one for a magnum.

The Magnums use the LA 360 oil pans, BUT you have to use the 4 piece LA oil pan gasket set. Cometic makes a very nice set, but you still need to use sealant on the 4 corners of the crankshaft reliefs. The one piece Magnum pan gasket will not seal an LA pan on a Magnum. I am running the Milidon 7 quart pan in my a-body, but had to notch the K-member slightly. It does hang about a 1/4' past the K-member.

I used the cheap summit pan for an LA 360, worked great, I think it was under $75. For a stock 5.2, original capacity was plenty for me. Like stated before, use the LA gasket as well.

Maybe I've just got lucky. The 3 swaps I've done I used the stock rubber/steel magnum gasket and la pan with no leaks. I wouldn't say you can't use it lol. Works for me.

Maybe I've just got lucky. The 3 swaps I've done I used the stock rubber/steel magnum gasket and la pan with no leaks. I wouldn't say you can't use it lol. Works for me.

Just curious, did you run the LA pan with the LA timing cover on all your swaps?

We run Kevko pans. Not the cheapest but great quality. Using the LA timing cover, you can take the "U" shaped gasket from the LA timing cover gasket set and cut the "U" off Magnum oil pan gasket and use some Rite Stuff where the gaskets meet. Always been leak free.

Just curious, did you run the LA pan with the LA timing cover on all your swaps?

We run Kevko pans. Not the cheapest but great quality. Using the LA timing cover, you can take the "U" shaped gasket from the LA timing cover gasket set and cut the "U" off Magnum oil pan gasket and use some Rite Stuff where the gaskets meet. Always been leak free.

No, I have always used the magnum timing cover since I kept the serpentine setup on them all. The last pan I bought off ebay for $45 ?? and worked like a charm. Now I do have to use a liberal amount of rtv in the front corners but nothing outrageous. Haven't had a single issue. The last one I did even has an oil drain tube in the left front corner. I suppose its high enough not to be a problem.

-
Back