What on earth could be causing this?

-
I think the diaphragm in the pump will go bad before the arm will wear out. My old Carter fuel pump would shoot gas out when I pushed the arm down but while the motor was running the fuel pressure would drop down to 4 psi. My new stock type fuel pump would keep the pressure between 6.5 and 8 psi. If you have some type of fuel pressure gauge in line some where would be a good idea. You don't HAVE to but I find in helpful to know how much pressure that I am getting to the carb.

I can't really tell you exactly what fixed the problem I was having but when I installed the Griffin radiator plus shroud the problem went away. The entire engine bay of the car would not heat up as much as it did with the stock radiator. The inside of the car is even cooler while traveling down the road.... it was amazing what a good radiator will do. The car quit running out of gas even though I had a full tank. LOL

Thanks for the info. I wanted to run a fuel gauge connected to my fuel line someplace under hood. Only thing was everything I saw was for a 3/8 line not a 5/16 like mine. When I do remove the pump will the new one just slide into place? I just don't want to hurt something or makes things worse. Only time I have installed a pump was on an engine stand and I remember it being a straight forward process, but I just want to make sure. If the pump is shot will it leak? Mine dosn't seem to be leaking anything but I guess if its bad it dosn't have to.

"soul survivor" my ECU is a MP orange box. The distributor however is an off the shelf unit from a local auto retailer. I believe its a reman. But I will check the back of it.
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the info. I wanted to run a fuel gauge connected to my fuel line someplace under hood. Only thing was everything I saw was for a 3/8 line not a 5/16 like mine. When I do remove the pump will the new one just slide into place? I just don't want to hurt something or makes things worse. Only time I have installed a pump was on an engine stand and I remember it being a straight forward process, but I just want to make sure. If the pump is shot will it leak? Mine dosn't seem to be leaking anything but I guess if its bad it dosn't have to.

"soul survivor" my ECU is a MP orange box. The distributor however is an off the shelf unit from a local auto retailer. I believe its a reman. But I will check the back of it.
Thanks everyone

Fuel pump change is simple.... remove the old install the new. The fuel pump arm runs on a lope on the cam so if the lope is downward when you remove the old pump then you might fill a little resistance when you install the new pump. You might have to push the pump in a little so the arm will compress and align the bolts up.

Fuel pump change is simple.... remove the old install the new. The fuel pump arm runs on a lope on the cam so if the lope is downward when you remove the old pump then you might fill a little resistance when you install the new pump. You might have to push the pump in a little so the arm will compress and align the bolts up.

Thats what I was wondering about. I just didn't want to pull the old one out and not be able to push the new one in. Hopefully I can get around to it this weekend and i'll post the results.

Thanks

oh, I also checked behind my ECU and it looked good. I didn't see anything that looked like it shouldn't be there.

I spent this evening installing the fuel pump. So far everything seems good. I took it for a short drive and nothing appears to be leaking. Over time i'll see if the vapor lock returns. I know this week is supposed to be rather cool with low humidity so time will tell.

Thanks everyone

-
Back