What polish after wet sanding

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I tried doing some wet sanding today with 3M 2000 grit and after I applied NU-FINISH scratch remover {only thing I had} But it did not get rid of the sanding haze. What is a good easy to get polishing compound that will bring back the shine. I will be applying it by hand.
Thanks
AL

3m makes some very good multi-stage products.
You are going to need a "compound" first to cut down the scratches and then a "polish" to bring out the finish. I've been out of the racket for a while now and can't remember the names or part #'s but you are gonna need some sort of polisher, beit air or electric. You will also need a foam pad for the compound and a wool one for the polish.
just my .02 cents

To do it right isn't cheap, typically there is 3 pads needed, but you can go with a single compound system like Norton's Liquid Ice, or System One, they sell the complete systems with appropriate pads. I use Norton's, works great, used to use Maguires 3 compound system but you have to clean between compounds so the single system is somewhat easier.

Be careful as hell with the wool pad in particular, stay away from edges and hard lines or you could buff through your paint and that would really suck

if you take some masking tape and cover the hard corners,top,front of fenders,roof line,that sort of edge,you can work the buffer up to that point so as not to burn the edges. take your time and do it right

I am un sure of what polisher to get, I have one of the 10 inch $60 cheapies but I don't think that is going to cut it. I really don't want to drop a bundle either.
They all seem to be around $200 bucks.
What about some of the cheaper air polishers?
AL

if you take some masking tape and cover the hard corners,top,front of fenders,roof line,that sort of edge,you can work the buffer up to that point so as not to burn the edges. take your time and do it right

That's what I do too, really easy to get carried away and fugg up your paint, the tape will save you. Heard of a young guy buffing his hood when the hot chick next door came out, he's running the buffer and checking her out, buffed right through to the primer :toothy8:

I am un sure of what polisher to get, I have one of the 10 inch $60 cheapies but I don't think that is going to cut it. I really don't want to drop a bundle either.
They all seem to be around $200 bucks.
What about some of the cheaper air polishers?
AL

Yeah the good ones are around $200, I paid about that for mine. The key is RPM speed, they don't spin as fast as a grinder. I have used the cheaper ones that are the same style as the pricey ones and it wasn't too bad. I've never tried the two handed Simonex types. Unless you have a big compressor an air type would likely be a pain with your compressor running continuously.

I was checking out Turttle waxes web site and they havbe a rubbing compound that say's:
Removes scratches, heavy swirl marks, surface blemishes and 1500 grit sanding scratches and can be applied by hand.
Has anyone ever tried something like this before?
It would save a bunch of cash.
AL

I may be corrected here, but I have never heard of anyone polishing a wet sanded car by hand with any success,maybe somebody can prove me wrong.

I did not do the whole car, just a few spots whgich is why I don't want to buy a expensive buffer. The paint has many problems so I am not looking to do the whole car just fix he spots I have done.
Thanks guy's
AL

I may be corrected here, but I have never heard of anyone polishing a wet sanded car by hand with any success,maybe somebody can prove me wrong.

You just have to move your hands VERY fast :toothy8:

But to be serious I can't imagine doing that with any success either, and if it did work the amount of effort would be staggering

buy the horible frieght sander polisher. its noisey as hell but works ok. you can grab them on sale for about 30 bucks. if you arent doing cars all the time it doesnt make a bunch of sense to drop a lot of cash on one.

I bouhgt a Simoniz 7 polisher and it works well for the cash, now I will need to learn a bit about buffing and polishing compounds as well as applications.
Man I hope I don't get carried away LOL.
AL

I used a 3M Product that the lettering on the bottle was in blue and the liquid was also blue. It was the best. It took all of that haze away and at night specially when lights reflect against your car you would notice it big time. Now I am glad I used it. My biggest problem is that my son got ahold of it and you know the story after that. I could not even get the empty bottle from him. I know that it was arround $60.00 but it was well worth it. I found nothing out there like it. I had to apply it with the buffer at arround 3,000 rpms and a foam pad and beleive me you will not regret it. Good Luck

Buy an electric polisher if you need one, Not an air polisher. Unless you have a huge compressor to feed it with. I have 2 Dewalts and a Mekita. Either one will work well but they arent cheap. Probably close to $300.

Its hard to go wrong with 3M polishing compounds. Either the Finness it or Perfect it line works really well but as Rob said the Norton stuff works well. I really like there Liquid Ice instant detailer.

I use wool pads for cutting and foam waffle pads for polishing. They have foam cutting pads also but I feel they cut way to quick. You can easily burn through the paint with them.

My local guy follows 2000 grit with 3000 grit Trizact(3m), takes the work out of buffing and polishing. I've used it on the dart and it sure helps.

I used 3M Rubbing compond. Then waxed after about 3 months. It brings out the shine after you wet sand with no problem. I painted my engine bay to match the car's color and it really looks good. It took out the wet sand scrathes.

The number on the bottle is 05973.

-
Back