What Rear End Do I Have

-

Barracuda Dan

Reaction score
Hello Gang,

I just purchase a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback. I'm trying to guest what rear end it is. The rear end cover is like a Dana 44. If it a Dana 44 is it the 19 spline axle like the older jeeps. What I like to do is get a posi unit for it and a set of 3.91 gears.

Any help would be appreciated,

Dan

Here you go:

Mopar_axle.jpg

Dan that sounds like the little 7-1/4. It's not worth spending much on unless your running a slant 6 or stock 273 or 318.

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I have a 360 in the car. I thought I could beef up the rear and keep the light weight.

Thank You,
Dan

Dan I hear where your coming from but I don't think there's much out there to beef up a 7-1/4. Don't expect it to live long behind a 360 unless you drive it real easy. If you want to keep as much weight off your car but need a good rearend to handle hot rodding it consider the 8-1/4. It's plenty strong for a 400 hp car and weighs less than the 8-3/4 plus their dirt cheap compared to a 8-3/4.

Dan that sounds like the little 7-1/4. It's not worth spending much on unless your running a slant 6 or stock 273 or 318.

My brother and myself killed a 7 1/4 behind a 318 in short fashion once we got our licenses , my dad was not to happy luckily it wasn't hard to find an 8 3/4 for an A body in the junkyard in 1979/1980 .

Any money spent on the 7 1/4 other than paying to have it removed is money wasted .

Any money spent on the 7 1/4 other than paying to have it removed is money wasted .

Geez,i find myself AGREEING with john,that makes it what twice in the 5 years i've known ya' buddy..lol....

"What Rearend Do I Have?"

If my wife asked me that, I could get in "really big" trouble! Sorry, couldn't resist!

I had a 7 1/4 in my Barracuda with a 318. I have to agree with previous post, get rid of it as soon as you can and don't invest a nickle unless it is to replace it. One trip of a couple of hundred miles did mine in. I now have a 8 3/4 with 3.23.

-
Back