What should be done with this 70 340 Duster

-
Pour gas on it and burn it to the ground. It's your car. But, if it was mine, I would restore it.

That is my guess too.
You are close but its not the inner or outer bracket . It does have to do with the bracket. But it dosen't have any funtion after assembly. If there is no evidence of it ever being there it is not a 340 car. It is never reused but I always look to see if it was ever there . That is the give away if its not there it should have been there at one time or its not a 340. So it doesn't have to be on the car but the little hole should always be there.

The screw that holds the inner bracket in place on the assembly line. The inner bracket is drilled at a certain spot so it can be screwed to the floor on the inside of the car. The outer bracket is drilled larger so it fits over the screw. Even if the screw isn't reused on a 340 or 383 car. They should always have the hole that can be seen through the hole in the outer bracket. If it was never drilled it is not a real dual exhaust car. No one would fix the hole in a real dual exhaust car . They usually don't take them off and if they do they know there was a screw there for that hole. A single exhaust body is dimpled where it needs to be drilled for the plate. not the screw.

Now How many are real every one run out and check. Some of you are probably missing the whole bracket. On your never rebodied cherry numbers matching someone else restored car. Who knows what these cars heve been throught in 40 years.

ok so what about a factory dual exhaust 318 cars of which could be checked off on the order sheet? . are you talking about big block A bodies, or are you including B bodies?

If you know of a 318 68 -74 a-body with duals tell me where it is. It will be my first that I ever saw. and who would change the vin on that rare car. all 340's came with duals. so if there is no evidence of a hole being there its a clone . Now if some one put the screw in or did a perfect job welding that hole up to hide it being a 340 car then your screwed. Get it Screwed! What I can tell you I have seen some members cars on here that I know are clones .They must know it ! And they are the first to cry felony. Or maybe thats why they cry wolf ,To throw us off. And think, Never them. Not there car.

I am telling you there is alot of them out there especially b' and e's

Or maybe thats why they cry wolf ,To throw us off. And think, Never them. Not there car. I am telling you there is alot of them out there especially b' and e's

with the big bucks some of these B and E bodies are demanding, there is not a doubt in my mind there are "forged" cars running around all over the place. the truth of the matter is, if people dont do their homework, they are subject to victim. i am still gathering as much info as i can , that is what warranted my response above. i cannot produce any documentation proving any 318 factory dual exhaust cars, but i have known a few people to have claimed their A body 318 dual exhaust car was factory. with that said, people that have been sold a clone represented as an original and are pissed about it maybe should have done a little more homework, but on the flipside of that, there are folks out there who are "faking" high dollar and even less desirable cars and have it down to a science.

Don't you just love the mopar crowd. Everyone cares about what the other guy did wrong to there car. The Chevy guys all have SS's and they all have Corvette engines. And no one cares. They hand the SS emblems out at most cruises These guys are more worried about what beer is in the cooler. And companies are making them bodies to put their numbers on. Who are we trying to kid here.

Hey you know what. There must be alot of Corvettes missing engines . I think I'm going to call the feds to check into this. This must be criminal... How can they have made more corvette engines then Corvettes. I can't take this anymore These guys are building their own cars and not applying for a reconstructed title that has to meet todays emisions.

Holy smokes if their let go my car will lose value. There will be mor of my car thats not fair. I guess I'll have to scold them and threaten them with the POPO. and the legal ramifications when I turn his or her *** in. Well I guess I told one of them and thats that!!

I am just going to lay down the glass on that Duster Mold it ,paint it, load it with herculiner . It will be a valuable restorable car that has all its numbers under the mud.

It is true alot of you guys and gals would rather see a pieced together mess by a amature then a all original welded body never cut.

Did any of you ever drill a rusted car apart . Half of the spot welds are not even attached. . What about the panels you didn't drill off. You think they are any better at the seams .

Get Real. Yeah they can be done with alot of time and alot of money. And then you deffinately don't have a Mopar when its done . You got a John Doe and he could have been a carpenter. Or someone who does sculptures. I say use the rust free Desert shells. These cars will last another 40.

You can't make perfume out of ****. You can but it won't smell good in the end.

well at any rate, i couldnt care less about any numbers matching BS. we were never worried about that "number matching" 440 6 pack road runner that we were out street racing and putting a rod through the block. in the end , im not going to be in the market for any 1 of 9 hemi cuda ragtops any time soon and i dont care that my charger is not an original big block car. if i did find an original BO29 SS barracuda that was trashed beyond repair i would probably drag it home and clear coat it.

BO29 and LO29 a car of everyones dream. or any hemi for that matter. If I had the cash I would by my friends hemi and burn the redlines and Tailpipe stickers off of it in front of nis house after I paid him.

Everyone cares about what the other guy did wrong to there car. The Chevy guys all have SS's and they all have Corvette engines. And no one cares. They hand the SS emblems out at most cruises These guys are more worried about what beer is in the cooler. And companies are making them bodies to put their numbers on. Who are we trying to kid here.

I once had a 1973 Nova "SS". It was very unique, it had a 305, bench seat, column shift, drum brakes all around and plain Chev hubcaps.
Oh yeah, I remember now, it was a "Custom" that I put the badges on! LOL.
It always had Molson Canadian in the cooler too!
I don't remember anybody really hassling me about the fake badges either, it was just a car. :cheers:

one thing i love about the A body world in comparison to our fellow E and B body owners is the fact that there is not near the scrutiny or emphasis on these cars for correct numbers and factory this or that. on other sites i am a member of , this numbers crap is what these sites are all about and if you have so much as a set Erson valve covers, you are frowned upon . that crap really gets old. i think it is a great thing that members here do what they want and are proud of what they are doing. as of late, it seems that 90% of us are in agreement that the numbers game just isnt as important as is it to build and drive these cars without worrying about hurting an original car. ive played the numbers game and it got to the point where we were almost scared to take our cars out and enjoy them. HATS OFF TO YOU GUYS who run what you brung and dont care about was is factory and what isnt. when it comes down to buying an original or restored car , and the car is represented as such, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. i salute those who take the time and re- build these cars exactly the way they came. and i salute those who build these cars to drive them and the way they want to :D

carry on:burnout:

-
Back