What should i check while my cluster is out?

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
I have my dash torn apart and today i decided i'll check where i have power to.

car: 69 cuda

i was checking the revolver plug (amp,gas,temp,oil) and i have power at the lights, and another wire that is not listed :silent: i dont know -shrug- anyways i checked for ground too and i do have a ground for my gas guage, does this mean my gas guage will work cause if anything i need my gas guage to work, i drove around to much in my dart w/o a gas guage and its frustrating, and not an option, i figured while the cluster is out why not try and fix it, i followed the wire from the revolver clip and it goes down to the rear end plug for everything. Will my gas guage work is pretty much my question? or do i need power?

I"ll check the ground strap, ground out the line, and such tomorrow if it wont work.

Jack, your fuel tank sending unit has a resistance slider inside the tank (the more full, the less resistance making your needle go to full. Your power for this is provided to your 12 volt cluster through the voltage limiter to your gas guage.

Plug in (your cluster (revolver), turn your ignition to on and you should have a reading. If not sure....left off the wire at the tank sending unit and see if your needle has moved.

And yes...If you probe the correct (revolver pin) for the fuel sending unit, you would have continuity (showing some reading) depending on the level of gas in the tank.

What else to check for... EVRYTHING that's on your cluster (plug it in) turn the ign to on and check everything out. cluster bulbs, turn signals, high beam, oil light should be on without engine running, EM brake light, etc.

I`d replace all those push in bulbs while you have it out, they`re a real pain to access once the cluster is in. You might also clean up the areas where the gauges come through the printed circuit board as well as the nuts that attach them. That`ll insure a nice connection.

-
Back