What should I do for now?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm nowhere close to starting on body work but my car has a lot of surface rust and I'd like get the metal covered. What would y'all suggest I do here? Strip it down and prime it? I was planning on doing the mechanicals first but should I strip the exterior down and epoxy prime and seal it then when I'm ready to replace the quarters just cut out what I need and stripe a small area around the welding surfaces?

View attachment image.jpg

Wow Caleb, that is a lot of rust. Did you sand it down yourself, thinking it was going into paint soon? im no paint expert, but my thought is, you had better do something with it soon.

Personally I would sand it down to bare metal, then chemically treat the microscopic rust that will definitely be remaining. Then use a good epoxy primer and then paint! You can do it yourself. The hardest work is all in the prep, and when it comes to the actual spraying, just be patient with it!

Go out and get yourself a good manual / book and follow it closely! At the very minimum, I would prime it and then paint with "Blitz Black" which is a satin black, very forgiving, and very inexpensive. Just do as good as you can with the prep work and masking.

The car is really solid as far as structure goes, the only rust through I've found is in the tail end (lower 1/4s, trunk floor and some around the trunk lip) it appears like someone started sanding it down and never finished. The car is sitting in my shop now so its out of the weather but I'd like to do something so it can't get worse.

Clear coat it and throw in a big block with a 4 spd!!!
I dig the rusty look on this duster, not a big fan of that, but for some reason I love the way your duster looks!

depends how dry your climate is.

if you live in a really dry place then don't worry about it and save your money and sweat.

If your place is humid, lots of rain then yes sand it down and epoxy prime it but be warned that the epoxy is not UV protected so when it comes time for body work it all has to come off again.

I have a car sitting outside in bare metal but my place is in a prairie dessert and we hardly get precipitation and even when it does rain, it will dry out so fast that its never a problem. At that rate by the time the rust sets in to be a problem that will be many moons up the road......yea

LOL that'd be an idea!! Could always sand it down later I guess :D one thing that I think is pretty sweet is the fact that it still has the numbers on the driver pop out window from drag racing!! And this thing hasn't been raced in 20+/- years!!! I don't seem to have a pic of the numbers ATM but I'll get one tmrw if I remember!

And I could throw the shark tooth back on it and roll with it!!

View attachment image.jpg

I have a car sitting outside in bare metal but my place is in a prairie dessert and we hardly get precipitation and even when it does rain, it will dry out so fast that its never a problem. At that rate by the time the rust sets in to be a problem that will be many moons up the road......yea

Rub it in, lol. Around here you can here them rusting on a quiet night. :D

LOL that'd be an idea!! Could always sand it down later I guess :D one thing that I think is pretty sweet is the fact that it still has the numbers on the driver pop out window from drag racing!! And this thing hasn't been raced in 20+/- years!!! I don't seem to have a pic of the numbers ATM but I'll get one tmrw if I remember!

And I could throw the shark tooth back on it and roll with it!!

View attachment 1714737639

Shark tooth grill looks rad, I would rock your duster the way it looks, once you have the funds and time, go all out, balls to the wall!!!

Rani I live in ky, it can get pretty humid.. It was misting all day today

then wax on and wax off with the sand paper .....I always use "metal ready" ...its like an acid that gets in the pores and promotes adhesion for after sanding before primer.......and spray that baby up nice with some smooth grey epoxy primer

The primer will bring out the lines and that car will look awfully sexy in one solid color with those sleek duster lines and semi-fastback with the sharp angled back window and that wide tail-panel and short but sporty nose......yea

I think I really really like dusters ....sorry

I'm with ya there!! I mean, how could anyone possibly resist this???!!!!!

I was really looking for a 70-2 duster at one time and I never found one ......all I could find was a demon ...so I have a 72 demon.......its kinda the same, but I still have to turn my head for dusters #-o

I had a new found friend (Grant) tell me today that what he's done with a lot of cars is any part that unbolts he'll take off and dip into a kiddie pool filled with a mix of water and muraitic acid and it'll take all the rust off. I looked it up online and a lot of ppl say its much better to use phosphoric acid as it'll leave a coating to prevent rust and won't eat your metal like muraitic. Thought on that? Or is a da the best way to go about stuff like this?

I was more of a dart/Scamp guy but the 70-72 dusters kept growin on me! Them I started studying those more and the taillights of the 72s really made me prefer those over the others! And the history behind how they came to be is just flat amazing!!!

I was more of a dart/Scamp guy but the 70-72 dusters kept growin on me! Them I started studying those more and the taillights of the 72s really made me prefer those over the others! And the history behind how they came to be is just flat amazing!!!

if you care to share the history of how they came to be, I am all ears .....I never heard that one.

I just looked at the pictures, damn that was a good story.

LOL!! It's even better if you read the little things between the pictures... They're called words ;) lol

HAHA I did the same thing and just looked at the pictures too, because I don't have time to read it all now ....but that is funny that I did the same thing.

But in conclusion Caleb, I think you should clear coat to preserve the car, once you get the funds, build what your heart desires, my man. But that's just me. It's you're car....and you're going to get a somewhat of a shine with clear.

-
Back