What size 17 in rim will work on 68 Dart Converitble?

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to run 17 inch rims on front and back. I have 73 bbp front disc brakes and an 8 3/4 with an extra leaf in the rear springs. I've read several post with different answers. I was looking at US Mags Rambler, 17x7 with 4 in back space in front and 17x8 with 4.5 back space in the back. My question is will this work and what tire size could I run. Thank Brian

It will work, but the backspace is not ideal especially for a BBP set up. It's going to limit your tire choices.

In the front I don't think you'll get away with anything more than a 215/50/17. I ran 225/60/15's on my duster on 15x7" cop rims which have a 4.25" backspace and that was all I could clear, I had to make some adjustments to the fender braces to get those to fit (no cutting though).

In the back I don't think you'll clear anything more than a 235/50/17 without trimming. On my '71 Dart a 245 on those rims would only have about .2" to the quarter, you need about a 1/2" to be safe.

Ideally, you should be looking for rims with around 5" of backspace front and rear even if you're going to stagger 17x7 up front and 17x8 out back, and honestly if you want to go as wide as possible in the back you'd want more like 5.25" of backspace on a 17x8. You could run the same in the front and run 245/45/17's all the way around. Not sure what you're trying to go for though.

I already had to make more clearance in the back I might be able to fit the 245s in the back.

I have 17 X 7's all the way around with no clearance problems (Zero offset) on my Dart. You can go with 8" wide wheels easily with 4.5" backspacing. Tires are 235/45/17
Hope this helps you

I have 17 X 7's all the way around with no clearance problems (Zero offset) on my Dart. You can go with 8" wide wheels easily with 4.5" backspacing. Tires are 235/45/17
Hope this helps you

Too bad the rims are too narrow for those tires, you're squeezing the section width down to fit those rims. Those are also pretty short tires.

And, is that on a SBP car or BBP? Makes a big difference.

You can't go to 8" wide rims with 4.5" backspace in the front "easily" on a 73+ BBP disk car if you want to run any kind of decent width tire, they just won't clear the fenders. Not enough backspace. Even a 235 on those rims would stick out over a 1/4" further than my 275/35/18's, and I don't have an extra 1/4" of clearance. Only way to clear those is a MUCH higher ride height than I run. Probably higher than stock even.

Well they are BBP and right now the wheels are 7" wide and have room for another inch of tire on the inside. So yeah, like I said Easily.

Inside isn't the problem. The tires I run are a full 2 inches further inboard than those are and they still clear, despite being taller as well. The problem is to the fender. That combination, if it really is a 4" backspace, will stick out a full 1/4" further than mine if the rims are sized properly for the tires, which yours aren't. Going to an 8" rim would allow the tires to reach their full section width. Sure, it might still clear if you're not lowered, but it won't even be close if you are. I can't lower any more without rolling the fender lips on my car, they're maxed out. Even set up as I am now I occasionally get a touch on the fender lip going through driveway and parking lot transitions with the wheels turned. Not enough to be an issue, but I'm at the limit. And my fenders were pulled out on all the adjustments, and with 1.12" torsion bars and a 1 1/8" front sway bar I don't get as much body to suspension movement as most folks.

All I'm saying is that you have to be careful giving recommendations like that. These cars are all a little different, and things like suspension set up and ride height make a huge difference. If you do a search here you'll find that very few people can run a zero offset front rim with any kind of decent sized tire, even when you're talking about a 7" rim. I can tell you 100% that the combination you're running wouldn't fit either of my cars without rubbing. Not even close. If you rolled the fenders maybe, or if you raised the ride height significantly sure. But lowered much, or even with softer suspension than what I run they would rub all the time.

Does is look like there's an extra 1/4" anywhere here?
IMG_3639.jpg

The tape measure says 5/8", which is already pushing it on the front fender clearance because of the need for clearance when the wheels are turned. But that's not the widest part of the tire either, there's less than 1/2" from the section width.
IMG_2991.jpg

And here it is by the math. Which is a little wrong, because it's not accounting for your tires being squeezed onto rims that are smaller than the recommended size. But that would change if 17x8's were used. These are comparing the specs between our tires and rims, which combination is "#1" and which one is "#2" is swapped between these two pictures to show both the fender and suspension clearance because of the way this tool compares them. It doesn't list the difference on the narrower tire, it just say "clear" in the dimension that gives more clearance. It also says things are "acceptable" if they're a small change, but that doesn't account for the first combination already being maxed out.
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.42.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.43.03 AM.png

BBP 17x7 on front with 215/55-17 and 4 3/4" BS / the rears are 17x8 with 235/55-17 and 5" BS. Suspension stock but upgraded. Brakes Disc conversion on front and B Body brakes and axles from Dr Diff on back. I can tell you I have absolutely no room for anything bigger in the back. The front will rub the fender if the ride height is any lower. I used a "Percy's Wheel Rite" mockup tool. I also know my wheel/tire setup won't fit on the back of a friend's '69 Dart. My $.02 is you really want to check your own ride because these cars aren't all the same.
DSC07322.JPG

Like I say on all of the threads that people ask if a certain setup will work... Measure. Measure. Measure. Rimsntires.com's tire calculator is a great tool to gauge what kind of offset or backspacing you'll need. I made cardboard cutouts and borrowed a wheel with the approximate tire size I wanted too. 72BluNBlu is generally gives great wheel and tire advice. If it were me and I was using 17" wheels, I'd try to get a 245/45/17 on all 4 corners. There are so many tire options available in this size where you could choose anything you want from a daily driver to a track only tire. Also, it gives you the option to rotate your wheels if your offsets front and back are the same (unlike my car). I have a 255/40/18 on my Dart with stock wheel wells and leaf spring position and it is very tight in the back. We might end up rolling or trimming the fender lip. We're going to do some quarter panel trimming in the front as well.

I want to run 17 inch rims on front and back. I have 73 bbp front disc brakes and an 8 3/4 with an extra leaf in the rear springs. I've read several post with different answers. I was looking at US Mags Rambler, 17x7 with 4 in back space in front and 17x8 with 4.5 back space in the back. My question is will this work and what tire size could I run. Thank Brian

I have had this same question many times in the past year. I am building a 1969 Dart GT with virgin metal and I want to put the biggest tire under the car as I can without cutting the virgin metal. I have asked a few times about wheel and tire packages and generally get answers ranging from helpful to telling me it is too broad of a question. This question was asked a few weeks ago and a gentleman posted his wheel and tire combo and I pressed a bit more for information from him because his set up sounded like it wouldn't work.

I am going to copy and past what he is running and I will try to get his name on here so maybe you can hit him up.

"18x9 with 5.25 offset rears 275/45/18 tires. Has to narrow the rear 2" and do offset spring hangers. Had to do custom offset wheels(pricey). Tight fit. Front are 215/50/17, 4" offset."

When I saw his wheel and tire combo, I asked him what he had to do to make this combo work and he indicated that he did not do any mini tub, adding that he only narrowed the rear end 2 inches and used an offset shackle kit and that was all.

I do hope this helps!

By the way....
I am using the same wheels on my car that you are inquiring about, US Mags Rambler.

Like I say on all of the threads that people ask if a certain setup will work... Measure. Measure. Measure. Rimsntires.com's tire calculator is a great tool to gauge what kind of offset or backspacing you'll need. I made cardboard cutouts and borrowed a wheel with the approximate tire size I wanted too. 72BluNBlu is generally gives great wheel and tire advice. If it were me and I was using 17" wheels, I'd try to get a 245/45/17 on all 4 corners. There are so many tire options available in this size where you could choose anything you want from a daily driver to a track only tire. Also, it gives you the option to rotate your wheels if your offsets front and back are the same (unlike my car). I have a 255/40/18 on my Dart with stock wheel wells and leaf spring position and it is very tight in the back. We might end up rolling or trimming the fender lip. We're going to do some quarter panel trimming in the front as well.

What is your wheel offset on your package and what year Dart?

What is your wheel offset on your package and what year Dart?

1968 Dodge Dart

Front:
- Dr. Diff Stage 4 brakes
- Hotchkis TVS
- 18 x 9" wheel with +32mm offset (may or may not use +5mm spacer)
- 255/40/18 Michellin Super Sport Tire

Rear:
- A-body 8 3/4
- BBP Axles (pushes setup out a little bit)
- Dr Diff Cobra Mustang Brakes
- 18 x 9" wheel with +22mm offset (my rear end favors one side of the car over the other so I had to use +5mm spacers to make them fit right in the middle. I still may need to do some rolling or trimming to avoid rub.)
- 255/40/18 Michellin Super Sport Tire

Again, I measured again and again for a month to make sure I ordered the right set of wheels and I didn't find something that worked for about 2 months. If I were to do it again, I would have used a 66-67 B-body rear end as I would have been able to use the +32mm offset wheels on all 4 corners. The pictures are from when I mocked up a 17 x 8" wheel with a 275/40/17 tire. Note that when I measured the tire, it was effectively a 255/40/18 as the shorter wheel width pulled the sidewalls of the tire in.

wheel well picture.jpg

lowered tire to leaf spring.jpg

lowered tire to outer trim.jpg

Lowered wheel on Dart.jpg

wheel mock up 2.jpg

wheel mock up 1.jpg

20161021_124124.jpg

20161021_124106.jpg

I think I'm going to buy or borrow a Percy's Wheel Rite tool to see wheel tire combo will fit my car. I have some time before I want to do anything. Thanks for the information.

I have had this same question many times in the past year. I am building a 1969 Dart GT with virgin metal and I want to put the biggest tire under the car as I can without cutting the virgin metal. I have asked a few times about wheel and tire packages and generally get answers ranging from helpful to telling me it is too broad of a question. This question was asked a few weeks ago and a gentleman posted his wheel and tire combo and I pressed a bit more for information from him because his set up sounded like it wouldn't work.

I am going to copy and past what he is running and I will try to get his name on here so maybe you can hit him up.

"18x9 with 5.25 offset rears 275/45/18 tires. Has to narrow the rear 2" and do offset spring hangers. Had to do custom offset wheels(pricey). Tight fit. Front are 215/50/17, 4" offset."

When I saw his wheel and tire combo, I asked him what he had to do to make this combo work and he indicated that he did not do any mini tub, adding that he only narrowed the rear end 2 inches and used an offset shackle kit and that was all.

I do hope this helps!

By the way....
I am using the same wheels on my car that you are inquiring about, US Mags Rambler.

Remember, backspace and offset are two very different things. 5" of offset is crazy.

Remember, backspace and offset are two very different things. 5" of offset is crazy.

Thanks for pointing that out

I don't know if the person meant backspacing or offset I copy and past what he sent

At the end of the day, it's going to be trial and error. I suggest getting a fitment tool and using that

Last edited:
I measured my rear of my Dart Friday night a 17x8 with 5" backspace is tight on the leaf spring a 4.5 backspace fits a lot better I still have 1.5 on the quarter. Going to remeasure the rear and measure the front today.

I got the car running with new engine and measure both the front and rear again. Then rear 17x8 with 4.5 backspace is best for my car. I'm going to run a 245 40 17 on the back. The front is where I'm questioning, I used a Percy's wheel right. I can fit a 17x8 wheel with 4.5" backspace on the front and I can run the same tire front a back. My new question will this tire work on the front?

I think you will find that once you have a good fit on the front, you will be able to use the same wheels on the rear only if you add a spacer. That is what worked for me.

Sheesh. That's about an inch wider than what I'm running on mine and I know I'm close to rubbing. That tire is 1 1/2" shorter than mine but I still think that's gonna be close. Did you bend the wire to mimic the tire dimensions and check clearance at full steering travel?

Yea I had the wire mimic the tire and turned side to side I'm going to check it again before I order anything.

Sheesh. That's about an inch wider than what I'm running on mine and I know I'm close to rubbing. That tire is 1 1/2" shorter than mine but I still think that's gonna be close. Did you bend the wire to mimic the tire dimensions and check clearance at full steering travel?
I think the reason I can fit the tire I think I can is I used welded and redrilled abody 8 3/4 axles and I already had to trim the quarter to fit my current rim and tire combo.

The rear wasn't the concern. My tires are almost same width and 2 1/2" taller. It's the fronts I think will be questionable. I would suggest ordering two in that size for the back. Try them on the front to check everything out before you order the other two.

The rear wasn't the concern. My tires are almost same width and 2 1/2" taller. It's the fronts I think will be questionable. I would suggest ordering two in that size for the back. Try them on the front to check everything out before you order the other two.
I actually have two Percy's wheel rites I'm going to use one for actual tire size and double check the front.

Anymore back space than 5in. It will be close to upper control arm and I checked it turning lock to lock.

I get real close to rubbing the front fender when the suspension is compressed and turning. Make sure you check compressed clearances. That's where I think you may have problems. My car sits a little low in the front but I have stiffer torsion bars so I don't have as much bounce.
Can't wait to see your car with Ramblers on it. I put 18" Ramblers on my '74 Cuda this year and the car looks so good with them. They're one of the best looking wheel IMHO.

-
Back