what size ballast resistor

-

freshayr

Reaction score
What ohm ballast resistor do I run with a orange box? (or black box) is it a 1.2? I also see a 1.35 ???

I only know of the .25 ohm and the 1.0 ohm. The 1.0 ohm is what i am using on my Dodge van and pickup with the orange box (they been on for 3 yrs).
The .25 ohm I have on my Valiant with the gold box.

Just measured the resister from a brand new Mopar Dist kit that came with an orange box, 1.1 ohms.

I have 3 ballast resistors here. I don't know exactly what they are supposed to be but I would assume they are all the same resistor because they all measure within .1 ohm of the same. Between 1.1 and 1.2 ohms. Taking into account the resistance of the test leads of the meter (which is apparently .15 ohms since it shows .15 ohms when the leads are touched together) the resistors themselves are actually measuring about 1 ohm.

As far as the difference between the 1.2 or 1.35 goes. That little difference wouldn't be enough to hurt but if you tried running a lower value like the .25 ohm used with the gold box it would be too much difference. The standard resistor tollerance is 10%.

To answer you question. Either one will work fine.

-
Back