what size stall should i run?

-

dennday67

Reaction score
So here's the combo so far. 71 360 .030, 10.5:1 kb 107 pistons, stock crank, stock rods, MP purple shaft .484 lift cam, weiand 8007 dual plane intake, 600 cfm vac secondary carb, stock J heads, stock size rockers (new rockers and shafts), 727 trans with street strip shift kit, b body 8.75 489 pig with limited slip (gears undecided but in the range of 3.55-3.91). Building the car for the street not the strip. Been getting mixed suggestions between 2200-3000 stall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The stock converter will work with your combo. The 484 Purple cam is a very small camshaft in today's world of camshafts. If you are going to buy one. Call a Converter builder and pick their brain on what is best. It is only a phone call away and its FREE. Have all your information about your car when you call and be HONEST.

If you are going to buy one. Call a Converter builder and pick their brain on what is best. It is only a phone call away and its FREE. Have all your information about your car when you call and be HONEST.

This is the best idea^^^^^^^.

Give the builder all of the specs you have listed, approximate weight and intended usage. If you intend to play once in a while probably somewhere around 3200, BUT it would be best to have one built specifically for your combo. A little pricey, but doing it right the first time is the best scenario.

PTC is a good place to start.

A poorly tuned car needs more converter. A well tuned car with a 360/484 cam should be able to work ok with a 2500sih converter. More is better.

A good 9.5 converter can drive around like a stock unit and flash hard, in the 3500+ range. They cost money to get a good one, but not much more than an off the shelf 10" converter that likely won't work as well.

Yeah if I'm going to spend the money I'd rather do it right the first time. Looks like ill be making a few phone calls and maybe talk to a local trans shop that does a lot of work for the guys that run at the track. Thank you guys for helping me at least narrow down what I'm looking for (all previous advice was from Chevy guys at work that drag race).

I would say 2800 to3300 should be right in the area your combo needs ..the taller your rear gear is the stall can be a little less also your rear tire size is a factor .

I'm running a combo very close to yours with a 3.55 gear in a Scamp. 14" tires and a 2500 stall converter. The car drives great and pull very well. Remember one thing, more stall means more heat and that is what kills an automatic transmission. The hard part is getting the kick down linkage adjusted the correct way.

I built what you have there only differences,750 carb,4.10 gears,3500 lbs car and 2500 stall.Not enough stall FOR ME.In my opinion a 3000 would have been a much better match.If your cam is the mopar P4120231 shaft it's a [email protected](not small for a street car) and rated at 2600-6000 so why use anything less than a 2600.Just my experience with that cam.

I'm running a combo very close to yours with a 3.55 gear in a Scamp. 14" tires and a 2500 stall converter. The car drives great and pull very well. Remember one thing, more stall means more heat and that is what kills an automatic transmission. The hard part is getting the kick down linkage adjusted the correct way.

True, install a trans temp gauge, external cooler and run synthetic trans fluid.

It has a external trans cooler, using lokar kickdown cable, currently running a 245/60R14 in the rear but might go up to a 255 not sure yet as I haven't decided if I will keep the 8.75 at b body length or narrow it a bit.

-
Back