What size wheels and tires will fit on a 1970 Dart

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
I have a 1970 340 Dart Swinger that I have been working on since back in the 1990's (kind of embarrassed to admit that) and I have it Painted(Go Mango) and I am installing a QA1 K frame and upper/ lower control arms and struts and big bolt disc brakes, The rear is an 8 3/4 with 3.23 sure grip and it was changed to big bolt(new axles) and 11x2.5 drums. I'm almost ready to put it on the ground and I was trying to figure out what size wheels and tires will fit under a stock wheel well? I'm leaning towards the Rocket Racing polished aluminum "fuel" style rims and they are available in a variety of 15 inch and 17 inch sizes. I was wondering if anyone had experience running 17's on a dart and what backspacing do you need.

If you are willing to intall offset hangers you can run 10.5 section width in the rear. 4.75 backspacing on a 8" rim fits well. Don't be afraid to use a small spacer to adjust it. I ran 8" rims in the rear with 5" bs and used a 1/4" spacer. I've run the same 1/4" spacer for 12 years with wrinkle walls and 500hp. Not an issue.

In the front with 17's. No matter what width rim you use, limit the outside width to 2.5". 17X8's with 5.72 backspace work well in the front.

-
Back