what steering box to choose

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
Not sure what box to go with, power, manual, or power from firm feel, trying to set up my 72 dart for a good handling street car, I already have a stock reman power box, and a bone stock manual box, would it be worth spending the money that I don't really have on the firm feel unit or should I shim the pump and use the stock power box? Or just go manual. What do you guys think?

What is already in the car? I would use whatever you have the steering column to use. My preference would be manual steering, but I have slants in all mine. Weight and exhaust considerations play a large part. What year, bodystyle, and powertrain is the car going to have.

That is a tough call. I have done the small block manual steering routine and it can get tiresome. I would likely go with power steering and shimmed pump. That way if my wife ever needed to drive it she could. Of course manual steering and brakes is a good way to keep a wife out of the drivers seat if that is what you are after.

You are very wise sir haha, I think I've also seen an adjustable valve you could plumb in to adjust pressure, maybe ill try that route.

Firm Feel Stage III is the way to go. Reduce the PS pressure with the spacer trick and you will have great feed back and be able to steer with one hand.

If you are short on money, use what you have. You can always update later.

-
Back