What steering do I want for 64 dart?

-

Cousins64Dart

Reaction score
I bought a 64 dart for a fun project with my dad. The body is great except for some cancer in the rear fenders. We’re looking at putting a 408 stroker in it for drag racing. We are stuck on trying to figure out what to do with the steering box. Do we go rack and pinion or is there other ways to make room for the 408 headers to not rub on the steering shaft?

C49FA057-A797-4498-A20B-E653954430AA.jpeg

EB0CDBC2-EE81-4692-AEA6-31D45B34D418.jpeg

"Going rack and pinion" means a full coilover conversion unless you don't mind it being a drag only car that turns corners for crap because of its hammered ackerman geometry. So, unless you've got close to $5k to spend on an Alterkation or HemiDenny K your time and money would be better spent on a good set of headers.

Looks like your steering shaft has already been modified too, is that just a solid tube in there?

"Going rack and pinion" means a full coilover conversion unless you don't mind it being a drag only car that turns corners for crap because of its hammered ackerman geometry. So, unless you've got close to $5k to spend on an Alterkation or HemiDenny K your time and money would be better spent on a good set of headers.

Looks like your steering shaft has already been modified too, is that just a solid tube in there?

The last owner said he couldn’t do headers with the steering shaft that was in there. The exhaust manifold was already rubbing just a tad on the knuckle of the steering shaft. We want to be able to make some room for headers but feel like that steering box is gonna make it very difficult

The last owner said he couldn’t do headers with the steering shaft that was in there. The exhaust manifold was already rubbing just a tad on the knuckle of the steering shaft. We want to be able to make some room for headers but feel like that steering box is gonna make it very difficult

It's an early-A, the headers are going to be difficult no matter what. Converting to a rack and pinion that actually steers your car safely is going to be a lot harder than clearing a set of headers.

But, the steering shaft isn't stock, and neither is the coupler.

It's an early-A, the headers are going to be difficult no matter what. Converting to a rack and pinion that actually steers your car safely is going to be a lot harder than clearing a set of headers.

But, the steering shaft isn't stock, and neither is the coupler.

okay thank you! I’ll have to see if I can find out what kind of steering box is in there and what better route I can go on there. I’ve seen some from borgeson but just don’t know now especially if that’s not the stock steering box

okay thank you! I’ll have to see if I can find out what kind of steering box is in there and what better route I can go on there. I’ve seen some from borgeson but just don’t know now especially if that’s not the stock steering box

That’s not what I said. That’s a stock manual steering box. The steering coupler and shaft are not stock.

A set of tri y's should clear. Try Schumacher if you can get in touch with them.

I bought a 64 dart for a fun project with my dad. The body is great except for some cancer in the rear fenders. We’re looking at putting a 408 stroker in it for drag racing. We are stuck on trying to figure out what to do with the steering box. Do we go rack and pinion or is there other ways to make room for the 408 headers to not rub on the steering shaft?

View attachment 1715513657

View attachment 1715513658
Drag car ?? Biggs’ on the back skinnys’ on the front and fender well headers...problem solved..!! Just cut those beautiful inner wells out for a needy early A owner who needs them..Swingn’

That’s not what I said. That’s a stock manual steering box. The steering coupler and shaft are not stock.

okay So 2 owners before me the guy swapped out the steering column so he could put an automatic in. Not sure what column he put in but I’m assuming that is why my shaft and coupler are not stock.

If you actually plan to race an early car, Hooker fenderwell headers are the way to go, they work great with factory steering. If those washers under one side of the steering gear are an indication of the previous owners skills, be afraid.

-
Back