What stud/bolt goes here

-

1974DartSport

Reaction score
My 74 Dart has three bolts that hold the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold. The long bolt that is by itself takes a 3/8" nut with the washer built into the nut. I have that nut. The other two bolts were removed by the media blaster. He broke them during the cleaning. The two holes on the intake manifold are smooth, 5/16" holes right above the hot box area and the threads screw into the exhaust manifold. Here's my question. Did the factory bolts have threads at both ends of the bolt (like cylinder head studs) and use a nut with washer to hold the top of the intake manifold down?

I went by the local Chrysler dealership and they pulled up a 1987 slant six on the computer. (Computer records only go back to 1984.) Looking at that bolt, it was 5/16" but it had a head on one end and was inserted into the smooth holes on the intake manifold and screwed into the exhaust manifold. (ie. there were not threads at both ends like the cylinder head bolts.) I am trying to keep the engine as it originally looked when I bought it in 1974. Anybody know what Dodge originally used?

PM me and give me your email addy, Ill get a picture tomorrow off of a 74 engine manifold setup.
Thant should fix you up.
Frank

Yep, it uses bolts. If you want to be able to remove it in the future, use a hardened bolt for replacement. Works for me.

Intake to Exhaust Manifold Stud 3/8" -16
Intake to Exhaust Manifold Bolts 5/16"-18
Hope this helps Don (factory specs):thumbrig:

1960:

manifold_1960.jpg

1977:

manifold_1977.jpg

On all of motors I have taken apart, those bolts thread into the throttle linkage bracket. I have never taken one apart that had threads in the exhaust manifold. Maybe I'm just lucky?

On all of motors I have taken apart, those bolts thread into the throttle linkage bracket. I have never taken one apart that had threads in the exhaust manifold. Maybe I'm just lucky?

This is the reason for my question. The two bolts that slide into the holes on the intake manifold near the hotbox are 5/16" and just slip into the holes on the intake. You then screw them into the top of the exhaust manifold just underneath the intake manifold. (Look at the picture of the manifolds Bill posted.) What Bill's picture does not show (1960 manifold) is that my manifold (1973/1974) has two HORIZONTAL STUDS for mounting the EGR Valve. With this EGR Valve here, I assume the throttle linkage bracket must bolt here somewhere.
1.) WHERE? I don't find this throttle linkage bracket anywhere in my carburetor or manifold parts and even if I did have it, it seems to me the EGR is in the way. Am I wrong?
2.) Do I need this bracket? If I don't install the bracket, then how do I install the stove pipe heater.
3.) Do the 5/16" bolts screw all the way through the exhaust manifold?

There is a noticable length of thread from these two bolts underneath the bottom of the intake manifold. You can actually see and touch it. Does anything go in this open space (like maybe the above, elusive bracket)?

I am lost and at a standstill. I only want to install these manifolds once. 1973 manifold on a 1974 Dodge Dart, Holley 1920 carburetor. Thanks for your help.
I don't think pre-1973 slant 6s had EGR Valves.

Last night I found the throttle bracket and the bolts that have been missing. I can now answer my own questions for anyone who has this problem in the future. 1.) The throttle bracket is mounted under the EGR Valve and the EGR is not in the way. This became obvious when I was able to actually look at all the parts. 2.) The bracket is needed to hold the stove pipe heater. It is also needed for your throttle linkage assembly. 3.) The bolts are not 5/16". They are actually 1/2'" bolts and they are 3 3/8" long. If they were too much longer the length would interfer with the mounting of the stove pipe. The bolts do extend all the way through the exhaust manifold in order to install the throttle bracket. The bracket is attached on the portion of the bolt protruding from the bottom of the manifold and held on with two nuts. Two additional bolts hold the stove pipe heater to the bracket.

Tonight final install of the manifold, throttle bracket, stove pipe, and temporarily the carburetor. Next week rebuild the carburetor. Thanks to 74Dart Jerry over in Texas. He actually visually described his setup to me over the phone. It is really nice to have help from forum members. Thanks to all that responded.

That would be " '74Sport ", and you are welcome.
icon10.gif

Randy is a cool guy, and we get to talk ocassionally when he runs into a snag. Since Aaron and I finished the "Dartster" a while ago, we have a living example for describing most of what Randy typically needs to know.

Now, all I need to do is figure out a way to get over to New Orleans and have him pay me back with a tour around the city (good Cajun food included).

Jerry

-
Back