what the heck

-

mod5v

Reaction score
I had a wheel cyl leak on my 84 D150 so I replaced both wheel cylinders as they looked like originals.Bleed system and get real good pedal feel. Ah another job well done. Next day I get stuck in trafic and the pedal starts to feel mushy but not every time. A couple of days of this and the weekend comes up so I figure that when the leak happend the travel in the master cyl increased and maybe there was corosion i n there and the master is starting to blead by some. Its 25 years old so I get a reman and Bench blead the new one and install. pedal feels good so go ahead and quick blead all 4 wheels just to make sure every bit of air is out. Make sure to keep the resovors full and after I'm done go to test drive and pedal goes right to floor after a slight hesitation about half travel. Look for leaks-none. repet all the bleeding procedures and the pedal just goes to the floor. Notice that the brake lite will not go out. is it posible that the proportioning valve can stick and bleed fluid internally or is my reman master bad? and has anyone rebuilt or tore down a proportioning valve? I cant seem to find a replacement at the parts stores.

had the same problem when installing the MP front discs, the prop valve got stuck blocking off pressure to the rear brakes and made it impossible to bleed, ended up having to get a new prop valve which was not cheap to get the problem fixed, from there it took lots of bleeding with a VERY light foot to keep the new one in good shape. It seems if the brakes are hit hard the prop valve tends to jam in one direction if it senses the pressure bias between the fronts and backs, it sucks.... that whole deal with the brakes was an ordeal to say the least... good luck

The Porportioning Valve has a Little Switch That has a KNURL on the end of it and needs to be pulled out to relieve the pressure through it and RESET it and ALSO the Brake Light....The Porportioning Valve Is your Problem Id Say..Youll see the little switch it looks like a nail head..

SS

Well my "new" master cyl was bad that was the pedal to the floor problem but after replacing it with another "new" one I have good brakes but the lite is still lit. I guess its time to get under there and take a close look at the prop valve to see if it has the "reset" knob.

-
Back