What times should I expect?

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I have read that a bone-stock 318 from the 70's will run the 1/4 mile in the 17 second range. I may be taking my 318 Duster to the drag strip this weekened. However, my engine is not stock. my mods include:

-Edelbrock performer intake with a tuned edelbrock 4-barrel
-340 cam and lifters
-340 valve springs
-Original 1974 318 block is bored .30 over
-all new pistons and brought up to zero deck clearence
-Original heads, but port and polished with a 3-angle valve job
-windage tray
-Orange box ECU
-NO headers, just manifolds with duel exhaust
-New distributor, oil pump, timing chain etc. everything is new

But the biggest drawback is my rear-end. It's a 8 1/4 with a 2.76 gear. I know those are more economy than performance but within the next couple of months I plan on getting rid of it. But for now I want to run it to see what I can get out of it. I know it's not going to snap my neck when going off the line but I expect to fall in the low 16, high 15 range.

What does everyone think?

I would agree with you a good run would be about 15.5 to 15.8. With a set of 373's I wouldn't be suprised if you hit high 14's. Walt

PS I used to regularly go to dragway 42 out there in ohio ( in the 70's) when they ran 4 lanes, man what a sight, with the "coca cola cavalcade of stars nitro funny cars up the ***.":cheers:

I would expect 15.5 to 15.9. I just rebuilt my 318. It has 120 miles on the motor now. I still have the stock converter and 2.76 gear 7.25 right now, but a 3.23 geared 8 3/4 is coming in the next month or so. The motor now has Hooker headers, stock rotating assembly, .020 over block, machined heads, eddie 4 bbl and intake, but the biggest change was the cam, now a XE268. It gives away a tad of low end, but not much. It has a mean sounding idle now though and should pull harder up top, especially with a better gear. This is in a 73 Duster. With its current gear, I would expect 15.3 to 15.6 for me. I may crack high 14's, say a 14.8 or 14.9 with a 3.23, I hope anyways. Sounds like you have a good package.

Depending On You Driving And Weather It Will Try To Smoke The Tire Into Obilvion. I'm Going To Say 16.20 @ A Little Over 80mph...a Better Gear,sure Grip Unit And A Comperable Set Of Tires Will Help. But With Your Current Combo Your Abilty To Drive Will Be Tested If Your Trying To Get The Best Possible Time. Or You Could Just Leave Everything The Way It Is And Start Spraying It With About A 100 Or 150 Shot Just After You Shift From 1st To 2nd....

Another thing you guys are forgetting is what altitude the track is at. Where I live the track is 4200 ft and that takes about a second off of the times (relative to sea level). Just my 2 cents

Another thing you guys are forgetting is what altitude the track is at. Where I live the track is 4200 ft and that takes about a second off of the times (relative to sea level). Just my 2 cents

True, but then you can always use the correction factor to make sense out of it all.:-D

Depending On You Driving And Weather It Will Try To Smoke The Tire Into Obilvion. I'm Going To Say 16.20 @ A Little Over 80mph...a Better Gear,sure Grip Unit And A Comperable Set Of Tires Will Help. But With Your Current Combo Your Abilty To Drive Will Be Tested If Your Trying To Get The Best Possible Time. Or You Could Just Leave Everything The Way It Is And Start Spraying It With About A 100 Or 150 Shot Just After You Shift From 1st To 2nd....

If the converter is near stock with that gearing, Im not so sure that the tires are going to spin all that much, especially with a larger rear tire. If it ran high 15's with that gearing and rear setup, I would be perfectly happy if I was him. That would be a a reasonably quick cruiser with freeway gearing until he can drop in a better gear and sure grip unit. Just my $.02:toothy10:

I was going to go this evening but the weather killed that. Proabaly next week. My torque converter is new but it is a stock replacement. I was thinking about putting my bias-plys back on the rear when I take it down. They were on the car when I bought it and are about the same size as the radials that are currently on it. But the bias-plys are not the original, and they have a lot of tread left. I always thought they gave a better grip. Isn't that the tires they use in the F.A.S.T. classes? But a sure-grip with maybe a 3.23 gear will come in the future.

-
Back