What timing gear do I need?

-

conquest87tsi

Reaction score
1975 Dart with a press on crank pulley. I see two timing sets listed, with two noticeable different timing sets, with two different timing gears. Is there a way for me to know what gear I have before tearing into it? Is it a forged vs cast crank change?

60F6EE3F-1A08-4847-8858-AEA1AC866B05.png

9F0923EA-BAF5-4C72-987D-D9C57662C03F.png

All the timing chain sets are interchangable between the years and engine sizes of all slants. Either one will work.

The bottom chain looks to have dimples in the pins. Thats junk, Soft pins
Yeah but the top one looks like a poor casting. I've heard of cam gears with that long slot cracking with usage.

At this point, it appears the three wide space cam gear and the Romac steel gear are about your only choices. Most that have other designs in the picture are the "three wide" design when you get them out of the box. After hearing too many stories of the three wide spaced gears cracking at high RPM, I went with a Romac. A lot more money - and weighs about twice as much - but I figured it would be a "buy once and cry once" deal.

If you have the coin, I'd recommend a Rollmaster timing set. They are top quality and have multiple keyways so you can accurately degree the cam.

The crank gear and the chain are the same as big block. I got lucky and found an nos Mopar performance cam sprocket and IWISS chain (as 2 separate pieces) and got the last new-but very old double roller crank sprocket that rock auto had in the system a couple of years ago when I was in my parts gathering stage.

-
Back