What tires would you run with wheel well headers ?

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I have a set of Hooker headers on my car right now. They are the wheel well ones.
I am looking at the tires for it, and which tires are you guys running. I have heard that you what to run around a 24 inch diameter tire. Your thoughts.
Thanks ..............Ted

FB_IMG_1637797632962.jpg

I have 26x4.5x15 Hoosier but my custom fenderwells may be why. 66 Valiant. Can't remember wheel width. I'm sure I can find the slip but I would guess this info is for a later 74 A body?

I have 165 (80)x15, 25" tall on my car with fenderwell headers . They are on 15x4 Rocket Launchers with 2.25 backspace. But my fenderwells are custom too, with no inner fernder at all.
The brand of headers, the width and offset of your wheels, and how high you have the torsion bars set will all influence how tall a tire you can use.
Bottom line? 24"tall on skinny rims will probably work. Bigger and taller? Who knows?

If it helps, I get some rub mainly on a hard right or left turn, especially uphill. '74 manual disc convert and Hooker 5215.
upload_2022-2-26_10-13-28.png

These measure up like this.........
upload_2022-2-26_10-11-45.png

upload_2022-2-26_9-45-54.png

Basically, it appears that the taller front tire you want to run, the higher your front end needs to be........
I have 185/65x15s on my car with the one header tube through each wheelwell. They are shorter than I would like, and a little too wide for a skinny centerline, but they were what I could get. I have had much bigger wider taller on that car but they rubbed on the header tube at full lock.

Last edited:
I currently have Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front 26 x 7.5 on my car. They do rub a few tubes on each side when turning sharp. Before that I had "Volkswagen" tires on the front. Can't remember the size of the top of my head. Top picture is with the Mickey Thompson. Bottom pic is the "Volkswagen" tires. Depending on how high your front end sits will really determine how bad they will rub.

2-10 (2).JPG

2007.JPG

Don't forget your oil pan or lowest object before the tires meet to be 3 inches off the ground so you don't trip the beam before tires do.

I was running 165R15 (25.43" tall) on 15x3.5 Centerlines. They hit my Hooker Super Comp fenderwells no matter what I tried to do. I made some strategic "clearancing" on a few tubes, raised, lowered, etc. Now I picked up 155 80R15 (24.8" tall) for 15x3.5 Shelby Cal 500 aluminum slots. Waiting on lug nuts to try them out. The 14" ralley wheels with 185 75R14 (24.9" tall) didn't hit at all. I "should" be in the clear now as the new ones are the same height as the ralleys. For me, it seems like 25" or just under is the magic number, but I also clearanced some tubes already.

-
Back