What to check?

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Hey guys, have not posted for ever. Looking for some advice. Been playing with my nomad and I have power to everything ,lights etc but when I turn the key I have nothing not even a click. Turned over for me many months ago ,one time but nothing since. Just wondering what steps I should take to try and track down the problem. Have been checking connections and cleaning them things seen in place. It is a 55 and has a 350 in it now. To make this Mopar related I am happy to report the Cuda is doing fine and fires up fine, too bad it is 10 below and snow is on the ground. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

I would check to make sure you have got 12v to the starter solenoid with key on then 12v going to the starter when the key is in the start position if so try tapping the starter lightly, maybe a stuck brush or in need of a starter or solenoid, too bad about the minus 10 here on Vancouver Island we rarely see it below freezing but were in the second week of it now, bring back the rain!

I would check to make sure you have got 12v to the starter solenoid with key on then 12v going to the starter when the key is in the start position if so try tapping the starter lightly, maybe a stuck brush or in need of a starter or solenoid, too bad about the minus 10 here on Vancouver Island we rarely see it below freezing but were in the second week of it now, bring back the rain!
Will do, the thing has been under coated with thick black chit, so hard to see anything obvious everything is so black. Who ever put it on sprayed everything under there, pain in the butt.

Hey Sparky. It's been a loooong time. Good to see you (or at least the typed word). Besides what has already been mentioned, does the 55 possibly have anything equivalent to the fusible link (which renders our rides dead in the water when they blow)?

Hey Sparky. It's been a loooong time. Good to see you (or at least the typed word). Besides what has already been mentioned, does the 55 possibly have anything equivalent to the fusible link (which renders our rides dead in the water when they blow)?
Could be, I think someone moved the fuse box some where as I have yet to locate it. Nice to be on talking cars again, had a few health issues and have not touched any of my cars in way too long. Retired now so I have lots of time, just have to get the passion for these old cars fired up again.

Could be, I think someone moved the fuse box some where as I have yet to locate it. Nice to be on talking cars again, had a few health issues and have not touched any of my cars in way too long. Retired now so I have lots of time, just have to get the passion for these old cars fired up again.

Take the Cuda out and do some wicked burnouts! Always works for me. ;)
Although, I guess you will have to wait for the snow to melt a bit.

Does it have a GM colored wiring harness? If it does, the starter solenoid wire is purple. Get a test light and see if there's power there with the key in the START position. If not, keep tracing back until you find power. If you get to the switch and no power, but the switch has power going in, then the switch is probably at fault. If you have power at the solenoid, then the solenoid and or starter is bad.

Does it have a GM colored wiring harness? If it does, the starter solenoid wire is purple. Get a test light and see if there's power there with the key in the START position. If not, keep tracing back until you find power. If you get to the switch and no power, but the switch has power going in, then the switch is probably at fault. If you have power at the solenoid, then the solenoid and or starter is bad.
Thanks guys, don't know about the wires so much has been changed l will have to spend some time finding things, thanks again Best of the season.!!!!

Thanks guys, don't know about the wires so much has been changed l will have to spend some time finding things, thanks again Best of the season.!!!!

Can't help a bunch, other than grounds, connections etc.

But I have to ask, am I the only one that wants to see a pic of said Nomad?

I do like the Nomad, my Dad had one when I was a kid.

Can't help a bunch, other than grounds, connections etc.

But I have to ask, am I the only one that wants to see a pic of said Nomad?

I do like the Nomad, my Dad had one when I was a kid.
Here it is the day it was delivered. I have all the trim just the doors spears need re doing, the eye brows ,bumpers etc have been re chromed . Paint is great, interior is 1980s but excellent . Just need to get my butt in gear and get it on the road. It is a 55.

020.JPG

061.JPG

075.JPG

-
Back