What to do??? Any suggestions???

-

65barracudadude

Reaction score
I have some ' 65 273 V8 exhaust manifolds I got from one of our wonderful members here on FABO. They look like typical exhaust manifolds that are 44 years old. I know a way of getting most of all the rust off of them from a thread someone did on here with electrolysis. But after that is where I'm looking for suggestions. Should I paint them??? What product??? Have cudachick powder coat them???? What???? I'm almost thinking of black high temp. paint. Is there anything that works good??? Please send me some advise. Thanks to all.

ether way dude, I have herd there is paint that will hold up to a clean and dry exhaust manifold, There is a thread hear I can find to get you some info.
Give me a few minutes :read2:never mind GTX has it for you:cheers:
I am to slow :drinkers:

I would sand them down,get rid of casting flares/flashes and any extra material on them.Sand off any production numbers etc...Gasket match the ports,and try to get them ported as far back as possible,and polish the ports.Then have the exit opened up as much as possible(2-2 1/4 inch would be great!)by a good machine shop.Paint it with some high temp paint of your choice and stick them on!

I did this with a stock slant six exhaust manifold when I went super six on my first Dart,looked really good. I think the porting/gasket matching added a few ponies too.That thing had ALOT of extra material in it.I was able to open the exit up to just a little over 2 1/4 in. safely.I have never dealt with SB exa. manifolds,so I am not sure what you can do there,Ive always gone with headers.

If I could go back in time (like before I put the engine in the car) I would have Leanna powder coat them for me. Now that it's assembled, there's no way I'm taking it apart again.
Anyway, short of that, I have been using Bar-B-Q black spray paint on the factory exhaust manifolds of my 90 Power Ram truck since it was new, and to this day there is no rust on them. They look the same today as they did 200,000 miles ago. It will need to be reapplied about once every 2 years, which (until recently) was about 40,000 miles.
When the truck was new the manifolds were black from the factory so I just kept the same look. Of course respraying the black on the manifolds is much easier in the truck because the engine is also black, but I can tell you that stuff works GOOD.
Good Luck!

George

Thanks a lot guy's. I thought I wasn't going to get any responses here. I'm going to first getc rid of all of the rust and excess casting flaws ect. Then I'm going to try some of the eastwood products on them. If I'm not liking that look. It will be Leanna's turn. Thanks again.

Here's what I did, not something you want to try if you want to turn them around quick:
I soaked both my manifolds in cheap white vinegar --- REALLY! I got me one of those "store-your-christmas-crap" plastic containers, poured about two gallons of vinegar into it and threw in the manifolds one at a time (the container wasn't big enough to hold two). It wasn't so much to make them pretty. It was to free up that darn heat riser which was rusted shut. Every week I'd wire brush them and every two weeks I replaced the vinegar with fresh stuff (bulk vinegar is cheap). By week six the heat riser freed up and the manifolds looked great!
I then purchased Hirsch Hi-temp paint, good up to 1600 degrees, got a good reputation amongst auto restorers.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EMPT-SPRAY

If you want to do it faster, best thing is to have a machine shop sand blast them clean, then paint them.

Barracuda 001.jpg

Barracuda 117 (2).jpg

-
Back