what to do with an old steel wheel ?

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
hi Y'all

what to do with an old steel wheel?? i must confess i do have a fondness for some non mopar related vehicles, my 1994 chevy pickup is one of those. i also love the kelsey hayes made steel 15x8 chevy truck rallyes. well the other day i was at my local recycle center dropping off tires , when i noticed one of these with a tire on it. its edge was pretty bent up but otherwise pretty ok where it needed to be.

i decided i needed a hose hanger in my back yard for my garden hose. this would be perfect. i rounded up 5 of those funny GM lug nuts with the threads on the outside for the plastic dummy lugs to hold on a center cap, scoured those up along with a center cap dummy lugs, and a trim ring at my local bone yard. so far today i welded the rim to a piece of 2" square tubing, welded on the lug nuts, primered, painted the wheel assembly, and installed the center cap and trim ring.

i still have to dig a hole, and concrete it in, as well as paint the tubing, and wrap my garden hose on it. when its installed hopefully tomorrow afternoon i will take and submit more pix.

hopefully this gets somebody elses creativity flowing. an old bent mopar rallye wheel would work for this just as well , and is better than throwing it away.

matt

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 208
That's a great idea. I have three bent steel wheels but until I find new ones they will have to stay on the car. Looks killer.

Nice.. Also make nice bench grinder bases. Just weld a pipe up from it and you have a nice portable grinder or vise base...

finished up hose hangar today

tubing is concreted 2 feet in the ground, and tubing is filled to the top with concrete

the round ring at the bottom is a piece of 6" diameter cardboard tube only about 3" tall that i am using as a form of sorts.

once the cardboard form rots away the concrete will keep the steel tube slightly above grass and dirt level making it nice to weed eat around it, and prevents standing water from sitting against it and rotting it off at the base

i really dont think this is going to go anywhere

heres pic.

matt

Attachments

• IMG_0632.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 146
Nice.. Also make nice bench grinder bases. Just weld a pipe up from it and you have a nice portable grinder or vise base...

I've also seen them used as bases for bar stools or chairs. They're fun to have at car shows.

Very cool, thanks for the pics!
C

-
Back