What to set the advance to on a MSD mechanical adv. dist

-

sixty9xtc

Reaction score
Anyone have experience setting up a Mech. Adv. MSD distributor. I have a warmed over 360 in my dart with a Purple Shaft 484 lift cam. I am running an automatic tranny with a 2500 stall. The MSD kit gives you about 6 different options on how to set the advance. I am not a wizz on timing advance so i don't know if i want it to gradually advance through the rpm's or or advance pretty quickly through the rpm's.

Thanks for any help.

Anyone have experience setting up a Mech. Adv. MSD distributor. I have a warmed over 360 in my dart with a Purple Shaft 484 lift cam. I am running an automatic tranny with a 2500 stall. The MSD kit gives you about 6 different options on how to set the advance. I am not a wizz on timing advance so i don't know if i want it to gradually advance through the rpm's or or advance pretty quickly through the rpm's.

Thanks for any help.

I'm using the blue advance stop bushing(came in the dist. from the factory) which gives me 21 degrees in the dist. and 36 degrees total. I am using two light silver vacuum advance springs that gives me total advance at approx 1700 rpm.

My 360 seems to like this setup.

Tony

swapped out the springs, it already had the 21 degree stop bushing in it and set the timing to about 20 degrees which it seems to run a lot better no knocking or pinging so might tinker with it a little more thanks for the help

-
Back