What to use to fill in small holes in metal

-

spence340

Reaction score
On my rockers and on the front inside door openings I have some small holes and pin holes. I could just run some bondo over them that would last for a little while but I was wondering if there is a epoxy or something that might be more permanent. Anyone ever tried or found something that works?

if it's pretty localized, you can grind it until it's bright, dimple it in slightly and use JB weld. If the panel is pretty much rotten you need to weld in a patch.

I think you should post a pic of said area so people can give you better options of what should be done.

things such as porosity can be addressed by cleaning the metal up well and then coating it with a rust dissolver and a rust inhibiting primer.

and using a good high build primer can take away most if not all the imperfections associated with minor porosity.

such things like rot should be cut away and replaced with a patch panel or a replacement body panel.

minor imperfections ( done the right way ) can be gone over with bondo .....however....if you don't care about the car and just want it to "look" like its ok......you can stuff the hole full of auto trader magazines,chicken wire,window screen,cover with duct tape and then bondo over it.... ( don't ask.....had a mustang I gave 2 $h!ts less about at one time HAHAHA).

if it has pin holes and holes and the metal is soft feeling (can flex the metal when putting pressure on it or dent it in when putting pressure on it) than I would suggest cutting out the questionable area and welding in a patch.

Tiny holes in rust, umm. You could use POR 15 which it thick enough to seal the rust but never the less it is still rust and in reality its just another car and how many cars have you been through where persons even yourself have jury rigged all the problems?

Tiny holes from the front are usually flaking in the rear but never the less it is rust and needs to be cut out and patches welded in. We can make all the excuses in the world why not to do it correct from the get-go but that is just excuses.

Cut it out do it properly and your done. Beat an stuff is bullshit way to go.
JMO though!!!!

Heres my two cents on how to get by on a panel with out doing it the right way.

Sand Blast lightly and carefully until all rust is gone, immediately prep with methyl alcohol or acetone or m.e.k. Immediately shoot bare metal primer according to directions. Allow to dry for a few hours. Then fill with fiberglass reinforced bondo that specifies "apply directly over metal" such as one with lots of zinc. Or skip the bare metal primer process. Thats a way to do it with out replacing the panel and will last 10 years if done carefully, so long as there is not rust coming thru from the back side. .

I strongly recommend sand blast or similar blast rather than wire brush (wheel) as the brush cannot clean the pits and divits in your metal where blasting can reach all pits and divits. Sandblasting can warp a panel so take it super easy on large panel areas

There are some 2 part spray polyester fillers that probably can be put directly over bare metal because they are designed to do so. In that case I would prep very well with blasting and solvent cleaning then fill to hearts content with spray filler. Dry sand rather than wet sand, then use regular 2 part filler primer over that and wetsand...

One problem you may have is the inside or backside of the rocker rusting. The rust may come back out from the inside even if you do an awesome job on the front side. You could cut a hole in the end of the rocker and sand blast down inside the rocker then spray an epoxy primer up in there or rust preventer paint / primer up in the "tube" that makes the rocker. I am pretty sure there are add on hoses that make your paint gun like a telescopic sprayer for getting inside frame rails and rockers.

Alot of good ideas here. I think I will take some paint stripper and remove all the paint in the problem area and then look at my choices. The area in question is only about 3 to 4" sq. so we are not talking a big problem here( I don't think ).

my 2p worth<from uk> i had some grot on area on flat panel under windscreen it looked pretty bad, a scraped it back and all it turned out to be was a hole couple of millimeters....... with filler over it the bit literally burst the filler away cracking paint and looking real crap.....time to get nassty as you only want to do this once....get your grinder <goggles on> and cut that tin worm cancer till you see nice shiney shiney...:cheers:weld it however small and grind back, weld grind...<good practice time> de grease then acid etch primer, filler ,primer and if to be left outside or used until respray a coat or 2 of aerosol colour as a stopper as primer/filler not waterproof....

if it's pretty localized, you can grind it until it's bright, dimple it in slightly and use JB weld. If the panel is pretty much rotten you need to weld in a patch.

X2. I've used lead in place of the JB weld. Use POR 15 as a top coat, then prime and paint. Prep is most important. If the metal isn't shiny, the rust is coming back.

-
Back