What to use to mate hood to hood cross brace???

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
Somehow mine has broken free on my 63 Valiant and acts like it want to fly away or fold over when im on the freeway, i thought maybe welding it back together would be a good option but curious if anyone else has tackled this one yet, and if so what they did?

Thanks.

Jake

no no. Go to a building supply store and buy wood shims for house windows or door jambs and lightly tap them (not a lot) between the hood and frame then chip all of the old sealer out and get seam sealer in the tube and use a caulking gun to to squeeze it into the same spots the old sealer was,let it tack up then take the shims out and push down on the frame and your good to go. It worked great for me.

Are you talking about the outer skin separating from the under structure?
Yes.

no no. Go to a building supply store and buy wood shims for house windows or door jambs and lightly tap them (not a lot) between the hood and frame then chip all of the old sealer out and get seam sealer in the tube and use a caulking gun to to squeeze it into the same spots the old sealer was,let it tack up then take the shims out and push down on the frame and your good to go. It worked great for me.
Ok, i wasnt entirely sure what it was but it looked like caulking. Thanks!!!

Jake

It works real good. I used a screwdriver handle to tap the shims in so I didn't use too much force and damage the outer skin. I did have to put 2 shims per side on the outside of each previous location of the sealer.

You actually need to be careful here. You need an adhesive that is flexible and doesn't shrink or expand.

What was mentioned above will work, just take caution. You are not trying to glue the outer directly to the inner, you are trying to secure the outer to the inner while allowing the outer to maintain its natural shape.

Oddly enough, every body man I know, uses windshield urethane for jobs like this. It comes in a tube and you apply it with a caulking gun.

It's easy to high and low spot your hood if you aren't careful.

Urethane isn't paintable. They used seam sealer from the factory just fine and mine lasted 50 years in the CA sun and the reason we needed to replace it is because the old stuff is finally dried out,brittle and doesn't bond anymore. I did mine my way and you can't even tell it was done,it's been repainted and my new 340 vibrates my car pretty good and no issues.

Windshield urethane is paintable. I'm just suggesting an alternative product, I'm not disagreeing with you. As long as it has a slow cure time it's all good. Anything fast or ridged has a greater chance of distorting the hood.

Many single part seam sealers are are urethane anyway.

This would be a great way to go also, like you mentioned.

Fusor® 800DTM/803DTM Direct-to-Metal Adhesive/Sealant | LORD Corp

Last edited:
I hear ya. I just did what the factory did so it will go another 50 years.

X's 2 I use windshield urethane, or urethane seam sealer, like said, some seam sealers shrink or expand when they cure, and when it happens the panel becomes a lumpy mess.
And It is paintable.

-
Back