What too do for Deck In My Duster...

-

DOUGIE800

Reaction score
Im not real concerned about tunes in my car but the 20 year old cassete deck that ive been playing tunes thru with a cassette adapter is Im quite sure hooped now. But I am not gona cut the dash too put a CD player in that I will never use. I know there is few options putting something in the glove box, but what I am thinking is I know one can get them original looking but new am looking radios that will fit in the dash and can plug in IPHONE or An Ipod. Any one know where to look and have some good experience with them....D

You can also have your stock stereo refitted with new (modern) insides, while the outside stays completely stock looking (no dash mods needed), and an added cd deck, and MP3 input is added, both of which are controlled from your stock stereo.

I dont have the stock one its long gone, Theres a Pioneer cassette deck in there from 1993 lol....

You can always put a modern one in the trunk. Almost all new radios have wireless buttons/controllers so you can put a stock one in the dash use controller and use the other radio

Hmmm WAS Hoping for an easy fix, like the tunes out the flowmaters more than music in side but it is nice. Cant recall the site I did see they were expensive $300 plus U.S but more for Chev and Ford and Cudas but they nothing for abodies.....

Hmmm WAS Hoping for an easy fix, like the tunes out the flowmaters more

I hear people say that all the time. That's OK for tooling arond town or the neighborhood, but on long drives, the drone of the exhaust puts me to sleep. lol
I prefer a stereo (personally, my preference is a radio over a CD player, an XM radio to be precise).

Try looking at Crutchfield. I used to get their catalogs, I believe they have an on line catalog, too.
And there is always Best Buys, HH Craig, and a few other big box stereo places that discount.

Don't spend tons of money doing this.

There is a really slick, cheap and easy way to put good music in your car that won't eat your dash, glovebox or anything else in the interior of your car.

Go on eBay or craigslist.

Look for a preamped equalizer. 200watts is plenty. You'll spend about $30.

Run ignition source power to the equalizer, run your speakers to it (I ran speakers to a 2 channel potentiometer/ volume knob in place of the electronics of my "speaker" knob I use on the bottom of the dash for on the fly volume control) and run an input jack extension from the back of the equalizer to some place under the dash or your choice to plug into. I put the equalizer under the package tray, by the speakers. They are about the size of a stereo deck, or smaller and you can get great quality and perfect equalization to tune it to the cabin of the car, for good sound.

At that point, you can plug anything into the input jack, from the headphone jack of your portable music player (anything from a portable 8 track to mp3 player of any make will work.)

No more butchered dash, no expensive conversions, no reaching across the dash to a constantly open glovebox, no old wiring, no music to get scratched up, lost, stolen or damaged if you use an MP3 player and take it out of the car.

I'll never put another car stereo in anything. I get AM from the original radio and the MP3 player I have, has FM if I want it.

Don't spend tons of money doing this.

There is a really slick, cheap and easy way to put good music in your car that won't eat your dash, glovebox or anything else in the interior of your car.

Go on eBay or craigslist.

Look for a preamped equalizer. 200watts is plenty. You'll spend about $30.

Run ignition source power to the equalizer, run your speakers to it (I ran speakers to a 2 channel potentiometer/ volume knob in place of the electronics of my "speaker" knob I use on the bottom of the dash for on the fly volume control) and run an input jack extension from the back of the equalizer to some place under the dash or your choice to plug into. I put the equalizer under the package tray, by the speakers. They are about the size of a stereo deck, or smaller and you can get great quality and perfect equalization to tune it to the cabin of the car, for good sound.

At that point, you can plug anything into the input jack, from the headphone jack of your portable music player (anything from a portable 8 track to mp3 player of any make will work.)

No more butchered dash, no expensive conversions, no reaching across the dash to a constantly open glovebox, no old wiring, no music to get scratched up, lost, stolen or damaged if you use an MP3 player and take it out of the car.

I'll never put another car stereo in anything. I get AM from the original radio and the MP3 player I have, has FM if I want it.
Thanks Dave, thats exactly what I need too do then. Cause like you said I wont spend alot of $$ on this, the car yes not the sterio im 43 lol D

Thanks Dave, thats exactly what I need too do then. Cause like you said I wont spend alot of $$ on this, the car yes not the sterio im 43 lol D

No matter how you look at it, this is the best option for any classic car that is non-invasive and easy to access.

I would suggest doing something for on the fly volume control. Some MP3 players have an inline volume control, but it's nice to have something solid state or electromechanical, like a potentiometer to control volume, where you know you can find it. MP3 players tend to move around the cabin of the car. I like it because I don't like giving anyone any reason to try and enter the vehicle to steal something. I also don't like hiding controls from direct use at the driver's seat, in view. This is the best of both worlds, because the equipment is gone, but the controls aren't.

Even if you wanted to get teenager on it, it's still an excellent piece of equipment for a high watt system with an amplifier and $700ea subs. Um. Yeah.

Don't forget your competition weatherstrip. At full volume on a high watt system, you can see the jamb gaps open. ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOWBjd3tNHk"]Music @ 157.4db - Neill Barber Bass Race - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back