What tranny is my best choice?

-

OriginalDart

Reaction score
So my timing gear on my cam busted and in the process my valves and pushrods got bent. I found a guy selling a 2003 360 hemi from a Ram truck but it doesnt come with a tranny.

I'm still new to the Mopar world and dont know much about trannys to begin with. I've heard a lot about the 727 but dont know its application.

My questions are, which tranny will bolt up to the 360? What is the best tranny for the 360? Lastly, what tranny will fit the already shortened d/s in my dart? I replaced the 7 1/4 with a a body 8 3/4

-theoriginaldart

He is NOT selling a 360 "HEMI". No such animal. From a 2003 he either has a 5.7 Hemi or a 5.9 (360)Magnum for sale.

You didn't mention what engine or transmission you have now, I'll assume a V-8 of some sort and a 904. Either engine will bolt to your current transmission. A 904 in good condition will live OK behind a mild 360 or late HEMI.

The 727 is a heavier duty stronger transmission. It was used behind most all 4bbl small blocks in cars, most small blocks in trucks, and all big blocks. International Harvester used it in their light trucks and Scouts, Jeep used it from 79-91 in Wagoneers and trucks. An overdrive version of this transmission was originally in the 2003 truck. They bolt right into A-bodies (63-66 requires slight mods)

Hi C130 Chief!

Could you tell me the part name or number for the o-drive you mentioned.
I've got a 67 Barracuda and o-drive interests me.
Thanks in advance, Cudamike13.

Factory Overdrive transmissions are either A500/40RH/42RH which is based on the A904 or the larger capacity A518/A618/46RH/47RH based on the A727. These transmissions were installed in vans, and trucks from 1988-1994 After 1994 they changed to "RE" designating a computer controlled valvebody which are not as swap friendly. Plenty of threads on this and other Mopar sites detailing swapping these into older cars.

So my timing gear on my cam busted and in the process my valves and pushrods got bent. I found a guy selling a 2003 360 hemi from a Ram truck but it doesnt come with a tranny.

I'm still new to the Mopar world and dont know much about trannys to begin with. I've heard a lot about the 727 but dont know its application.

My questions are, which tranny will bolt up to the 360? What is the best tranny for the 360? Lastly, what tranny will fit the already shortened d/s in my dart? I replaced the 7 1/4 with a a body 8 3/4

-theoriginaldart
Pm sent.

-
Back