What type of coolant does everyone use?

-
Prestone concentrate "Green" Coolant.... 2 Gal.
Fill the rest with Distilled water....
Run it for 3 years and Dump it, Flush the system, and then start over.
Works like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!

I run the Mopar GO-5.

Anyone got any good leads on the anodes for cooling systems? I'd hate to eat up my fancy radiator.

Wouldn't water that has passed through a softener have a different ph since it passed through an ion exchanger?

I should have stated naturally soft water. A water softener does an ion exchange with NaCl making MgCl/CaCl I think. These are salts which wouldn't be good for your radiator either. I think I read it adds up to 300 mg/litre which isn't much but salt is salt. Reverse osmosis removes it via a membrane so it would be ok as welll as distilled water. On purified water check the label for Ca, MG or total hardness and chlorides. I think it is tap water just run through a filter. Distilled water or deionized water is your best bet.

I run the Mopar GO-5.

Anyone got any good leads on the anodes for cooling systems? I'd hate to eat up my fancy radiator.

summit has them... you can get a couple different kinds... easiest ones just screw into an NPT hole...

Don't use Prestone ! Unless it's changed, it'll void your new car warrenty. In other words, the big yellow container contains junk and isn't recognised by auto manufacturers. Just read the label. It isn't there.

Prestone concentrate "Green" Coolant.... 2 Gal.
Fill the rest with Distilled water....
Run it for 3 years and Dump it, Flush the system, and then start over.
Works like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!

X2. Not expensive. Near universal availability of (green) Prestone and distilled water make it easy to top off when needed.

Being "Old school" I add a can of water pump lubricant when I change the coolant. Water pump failures = 0.

X2. Not expensive. Near universal availability of (green) Prestone and distilled water make it easy to top off when needed.

Being "Old school" I add a can of water pump lubricant when I change the coolant. Water pump failures = 0.

Yep.Old school is right..No replacing radators.... No replacing heater core.... Very very few hose replacements..... No stuck heat valves..... Water pump replacements are few and far between..... Very few thermostat failures...
And to scare the crap out of most people.... I use it in all my new vehicals.... And guess what,,,, No more Brown overflow bottles....

Works for me..... And more test amoney is my 180 unit rolling fleet with the same combo in it, all ranging from years 1968-2012...
Proof has been in the pudding for me anyways.....

:cheers:

I use Honda type2 coolant in everything I own. expensive but works well and i work at Honda so easly avalible for me. It's a pre mix so just dump in and no mixing

-
Back