What type of Mini starter do I need?

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
I need a mini starter for the 360 I dropped today. I made a bad mistake and bought one off of e-bag. Of course it doesn't fit. Question is...which mini starter would fit my 76 360 motor. I will post pictures as soon as possible. Thanks for the help. And by the way, the drivers side TTI's where a M.F. but I got'em in.

Got my m.p. one from Summit $119.00 i believe ,been working flawlessly for 3 years..

Why 'mini starter'?

Just use a Magnum starter, 1993-1998. Post 1998 they used a different ground connection.

360, Magnum starter, TTI Duster.

Mick Semantel said:
Whats the difference between a magnum starter and a mini-starter?
Good question, I'd like to know too.

Here is the research I've done on Magnum starters:

dust said:
Good question, I'd like to know too.

Here is the research I've done on Magnum starters:

So a pre 98 Magnum starter will work, say, on my 73 318 with manifolds in my Duster? Im trying to make as much room as possible with headers by using any way to get the slightest bit of space.

dust said:
Why 'mini starter'?

Just use a Magnum starter, 1993-1998. Post 1998 they used a different ground connection.

360, Magnum starter, TTI Duster.

The new Mopar starter I bought had the weird connector on it. It came with a pig tail for the starter cable. Just soldier it on and heat shrink it.

I bought the Mopar one because after paying a core charge and tax on one from a parts store it was cheaper.

I have headers in my 68 and there is plenty of room. The 89 starter bolted right in and cranks the engine over like I took all the plugs out. Gotta love those mini starters.

MOPARJ said:
So a pre 98 Magnum starter will work, say, on my 73 318 with manifolds in my Duster? Im trying to make as much room as possible with headers by using any way to get the slightest bit of space.
Yes, do it. You wont regret it.

bought a mp starter back in let me think,,,,the late 80;s,,,then they started using that starter on dakotas,,and rams,,from the factory,,yes same starter as MP that was the orignal mini starter,, then there is a smaller one,,,,the orignal MP starter still works,,great,,battery in trunk,,,1000 cold cranking amps,,,working almost 20 years,,,,, and the smaller mini i have chrylser is on my early hemi,,,,and it is very small and works fine,,,,the truck starter is easier to find,,,,from MP or your local parts store,,or junkl yard,,,hope this helpes

Mick Semantel said:
I need a mini starter for the 360 I dropped today. I made a bad mistake and bought one off of e-bag. Of course it doesn't fit. Question is...which mini starter would fit my 76 360 motor. I will post pictures as soon as possible. Thanks for the help. And by the way, the drivers side TTI's where a M.F. but I got'em in.

Power steering EH!! If it was easy - everyone could do it. Think how much more you appreciate them now - and you can change the starter without removal of same.

Excellent point 388dart. Yesturday, I learnded about how tight everything can be underneath a 75 Dart with a v-8 and headers. For insteance...one has to turn the wheels of said Dart to the passenger side to get a magnum starter to clear the linkage, then twist into the pocket of the headers, then re-twist the starter because of the area where the starter bolts to the trans. New lesson learned...find the RIGHT BOLTS THAT WILL FIT. So off to the hardware store on Tuesday. But the info and experience gained so far is priceless.

Mick Semantel said:
Excellent point 388dart. Yesturday, I learnded about how tight everything can be underneath a 75 Dart with a v-8 and headers. For insteance...one has to turn the wheels of said Dart to the passenger side to get a magnum starter to clear the linkage, then twist into the pocket of the headers, then re-twist the starter because of the area where the starter bolts to the trans. New lesson learned...find the RIGHT BOLTS THAT WILL FIT. So off to the hardware store on Tuesday. But the info and experience gained so far is priceless.

So are different bolts needed for the Magnum starter? Any other modifications?

MOPARJ said:
So are different bolts needed for the Magnum starter? Any other modifications?

There is no difference in starters.A magnum,Dakota,Ramcharger,Van,Mopar performance, etc,etc, all use the same Nipendenso gear reduction starter.

This starter will fit 170,198,225,273,318,340,360,383,440 engines.Think I am missing a couple in there.

Go to a junk yard and look at later Chrysler cars for them.If it looks smaller than the big Chrysler starter than it is a mini,and it will work.

Or go to your local parts store and ask for a starter out of a 90 Dakota with a 360.

My last mini cost me $15.00 at the junk yard,looks/works like it is brand new.

Good luck!!!!!!

-
Back