What Universal X-pipe kits are good?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im going to be ordering my mufflers and x pipe for my car this week and im wondering which x pipe i should go with (3inch exhaust by the way)...my car has hedman headers on it p#78050 and im trying to figure out which x will require the least amount of work to line up with the headers...the less work the better so im wondering what you guys have used
there is this summit brand one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-642130/
a dynomax one (10 bucks more)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-88330/
or should i just get the little x and get the exhaust shop to fab up the rest? theres no pic of it, but its 45 bucks and looks like this magnaflow one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10791/

interested to hear your opinions...if you guys have suggestions for other routes as well I am open to them

thanks!
Matthew

I used the summit kit on my car.. It worked out great, a buddy is now ordering it for his car.

Home made one here. It doesn't look like that anymore. I have cleaned it up and repainted it.
Picture_067.sized.jpg

anybody else? gotta order this stuff latest end of the week, so all the feedback you guys have would be appreciated

i would personaly got with the x pipe center section and get the muffler shop to weld the rest up

my dad bought the summit X pipe for his truck. seemed like a quality peice. the good thing is you can flip the tubes around if you need them to go out wider. If you need it done fast maybe just take it to the muffler shop. theres no use doing it yourself and trying to get it done fast and messing stuff up.

I have run the PYPES performance x-pipe kit (2.5") and it fit great, So I bought the 3" x-pipe kit when i did the big block swap...they fit great.

im in no rush to put it on, just in a rush to order it since im going to the border to pick it up next friday so i want to order now to make sure its there when i get there...what would be the benefits of buying the small x and doing my own piping around it? I feel that if i do the small x im going to have to pay the shop more to bend up and supply tubing...what do you guys think? im leaning towards the summit one since its cheaper too (unless i go with the small dynomax x)

In your other thread you indicate you want to head for at least low 11s. With that said you will be wanting to spring for a full 2.5" or 3" mandrel bent system (like the one TTI offers) with an x-pipe.

I wouldn't waste time or money on a crush bend system.

i never intended to go with a crush bent system, it would be custom mandrel by a muffler shop that is capable...TTI is out of the picture, ill never buy into their expensive product...they need to come back to reality those guys

i never intended to go with a crush bent system, it would be custom mandrel by a muffler shop that is capable...TTI is out of the picture, ill never buy into their expensive product...they need to come back to reality those guys

Couldn't agree more.. Like I mentioned earlier, if you are looking for a cheap yet decent x-pipe go with the summit kit, I doubt you will be disappointed.

The exhaust system itself not counting the headers is competitively priced given the cost of a custom mandrel bent system and the quality you get from TTI. In my opinion.... and it is what I have on my car.

I have the Pypes 2 1/2" with "X" pipe and cutouts but I havn't used it yet. I researched it before I bought it, and for my street/some strip mild 340, it seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

you guys using the summit and jegs kits, are you using the supplied piping to come right off the headers, or do you have your own piping before that?

Hey Matthew,

Car looks good. I used the summit kit with TTI tailpipes. Just tie into the header reducer/collectors. They should be long enough to reach the oe muffler location.

Bob

I have a summit kit and would buy it again. No X pipe.

One thing I haven't heard addressed here is transmission/linkage clearance. If you are racing, you'll prolly have the tranny in/out b4 long. If you go the "custom" route, then you might want to keep that in mind.

Either make sure the collectors are bolted, so it drops down and/or that the "X" is far enough back to clear the tranny (or at least behind the pan/under the tail shaft...maybe someone with a 727 can chime in).

The shop will take the "easy" path (of less resistance), so make sure you explain you wants. Also (IMHO), with 3", they're prolly gonna spend a lot of time getting clearances up/over the rear end. My 2.5" was close in a lot of spots (shocks/gas tank etc.)

BTW, I just did Doug's/Pypes. Very happy with the results. It a '68 GTS 4 spd, so I was concerned if I needed to do a clutch. The Pypes "X" is (seems) far enough back to clear dropping the tranny (but I'd most likely need to unbolt the collectors).

When I bought my car, it had Hookers and a "stock" like system. No "H" or "X" pipe. IMHO I really think these help the engine breath better. Also gives a very different tone. You can check 'em on You Tube.

Pete

-
Back